Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Ellen urthcreature

Grout Color For Rialto White Tile

I am going through the same decision here. I'm torn between biscuit and white for the grout. Rialto white tile seems to really be offwhite with a little beige and gray to it, it's not a stark white. I don't want grout that looks stark white. Looking at the Mapei grout colors available, there is "avalanche" that looks very white, then there's "white". Anyone know how white the "white" grout really is? Is it a bit beige, or is it still basically white? I think I'll probably go with biscuit grout unless the "white" is actually beige. I'm trying to match the grout color closely with the tile because I prefer for grout lines not to come to the forefront visually. I'm thinking the biscuit grout may give a little bit of a sandy tone to the overall look, add a little warmth, as long as it won't be too dark and jump out. Wish I had found your forum a long time ago, the tile is going in tomorrow morning! Thanks in advance for advice
Old 10-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Ellen.

I've made you a new thread here to keep from confusing that other member's thread and keep your question from getting lost.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Spence

I have two rooms with Rialto White tile. I used Mapei mocha grout, and it looks great! I like the contrast, but I'm sure white would look good too. The Rialto White is darker around the edges on the bevel, so a bright white grout might look funny. Biscuit would probably be very nice.

I would highly recommend that you do a test board with a few different colors of grout. Lowe's sells tiny units of Mapei grout for < $5, so for under 20 bucks you could put to rest any doubts you have!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Ellen,

best thing to do is get a grout chart and make a decision on what YOU want, not us.
don't see it from our house and YOU have to live with it.
we all have different tastes.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Ellen urthcreature

thank you for the new thread and also for the suggestions you guys! I didn't have a chance to see them in time because I had posted my question right before installation But I agree with your suggestions, and I wish I had done exactly that and tested the different grouts to see before hand.

Well, the Rialto White tile went in the past couple days and got grouted today. I went with Maipei "biscuit" for the grout in the end and it worked out great, it is definitely light enough, lighter than the sticker on the grout package, and I really like the combination.

You are right that you can create so many different looks or effects depending on what you want. I will upload pictures asap.

Last edited by Ellen urthcreature; 10-13-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Ellen urthcreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Ellen urthcreature

Rialto White, grout getting in the pits

I had read a lot here regarding the pits in the tile and how grout can get in there and be hard to remove if not wiped off fairly quickly during installation.
Then at one of my local Lowe's, well, in the tile area there were displays showing it with no grout in the pits/indentations of the tiles. But in one of the kitchen displays, they had used a Rialto tile and the pits/indentations were completely filled with grout.....to my surprise, I kind of liked it, although it was a red Rialto. I wondered what it would look like on the Rialto white, couldn't decide which look to go for (i.e. with or without grout in the pits).

In the end, I did get some filling of the pits. I really like it! On the DelConca site they said this line is meant to resemble stone, which is does, and with some of the pits filled like that with the Biscuit grout it really does have a bit of that effect, like when travertine has those little filled pits. Wonder if the manufacturer of the tile meant for that to happen? Our installer gave me a sealer to put on the grout in a couple days, but he said the grouts now are pretty good anyway about not discoloring. Anyway, it worked out well, thank you all very much for your help!

Last edited by Ellen urthcreature; 10-13-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Ellen urthcreature

I noticed when picking out the Rialto white that in every store where I looked, the 12 inch tiles were darker in tone than the 16 inch tiles and quite a bit more pitted. I liked the tone of the 16 inch tiles, but wanted 12 inch for the bathtub surround so I finally just got it.

About halfway through the installation of the tub surround with the 12 inch tiles I started to get a little worried. I was really afraid it was looking too drab/gray, almost muddy in color. The 16 inch tiles looked great on the floor and I loved the color.

But after grouting, I like it. The Biscuit grout kind of pulled it all together, and the fact that some of the pits on the wall tiles got filled with the biscuit grout also lightened and warmed up the look of the wall tiles. It gave it a little beachier/sunnier look.

We used a stone or stone-look and seaglass border accent that we found at Home Depot.

Last edited by Ellen urthcreature; 10-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Ellen urthcreature

Hopefully this is a better size :) Picture of floor just after installation

this was very soon after grouting, the grout has dried to be light beige

Last edited by Ellen urthcreature; 10-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Ellen urthcreature

picture of wall

Here's the wall picture again, hope this is smaller but big enough that you can see it. Rialto white / Maipei biscuit grout.
The stone and sea glass border was from Home Depot, Lowe's used to carry it or something very similar but recently stopped carrying it.

Last edited by Ellen urthcreature; 10-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
Ellen urthcreature

Rialto White 12 inch tile, maipei Biscuit grout. It's not really as gray as it looks in this picture. You can see some of the detail here with the grout in the pits.

That's true about the tile having a darker tone along the edges, like you were saying, Spence.

Thanks again you guys

Last edited by Ellen urthcreature; 10-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase