Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
wdw4me13

Contractor tiled shower having issues - questions

I just joined because I have questions about what our contractor is doing with the shower. The contractor had good reviews and everyone we talked to was happy with them. Hopefully I'm in the right place and you can help me out.

About a year ago we had a contractor gut our bathroom. Our shower is tiles with glass walls, door. They used a tile ready shower pan, tiled the floor and then the walls. By doing this the wall tiles sat on the shower floor tiles. Hope this makes sense. Early Dec the floor grout was cracking and falling out. We called they came and fixed it. By Jan it was cracking again. They decided to remove all the floor grout and re-grout. When they did this the tiles started coming up. Got 2 excuses as to what happened. First was when they did the grouting (quartzLock) the plumber was there and they think it may have gotten wet and therefore never set correctly. So they pulled up all the tile, except the row under the wall. Relaid and before they grouted the came up with reason #2 why the grout failed. The tile was too close and the grout line wasn't to specification. To overcome this they cut the edges of the tile....bad, chipping everywhere. On to attempt #3. Ripped out all the tile again, this time including the ones under the wall. This time they put in a different tile that was matted farther apart. However instead of being under the wall it starts flush with the wall with what looks like a silicon caulk around the perimeter.

So after the long story here's my question. Is it ok that the wall tile was 'sitting' on the floor tile but now isn't? So now a tiny part of the wallboard technically doesn't have anything on it. Also where before there was a grout line where the wall floor meet now there's caulk, I've never seen this before is that ok? I'm really frustrated by this whole ordeal and not sure they're doing the right thing to fix this.

thanks
Sabrina
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
TeomanTile

Hello, and welcome to the forums, Sabrina!!

You are in exactly the right place, and we will figure this out with you!!

My first thought, is what type of thinset did they use? And what type of pan is it?

Most tile ready pans need to have the tile set with an epoxy thinset, a very commonly and easyilly overlooked, but very important detail.

As for the grout joint, it is common, and very recommended that all changes of Plane, I.e. the wall to floor, or wall to tub transition, be caulked with a flexible sealant, preferably silicone.

Pictures would help, I'm sure some better help than I will be around shortly!!
TeomanTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I agree with Joseph about the epoxy thinset, it was probably skipped

Can you take a picture like this so we can see a cross section of the wall? I wanna see if they put any waterproofing in the wall above the pan.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sabrina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
I'm sure some better help than I will be around shortly!!
I don't think so in this case.

I think Joseph is almost certainly spot on with his assessment of the incorrect type of bonding material having been used to set the tiles in the pan.

Could be wrong, of course, but I'd be willing to bet large dinero.

No, it doesn't matter technically that the floor tiles are not under the wall tiles, but it still matters that the floor tiles be set using the correct bonding material and that the job be pleasing to your eye.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
wdw4me13

Thanks for the quick replies. The pan is Wedi Shower System but don't see the type of thinset mentioned in our paperwork. I don't have any cross sections of the walls but here are some pictures. The first 3 are the original work, the bottom one is the new tile.

As for being pleasing to my eyes I'm still trying to figure it out. It looks ok but it's no longer matches the floor/wall tile. I know this so think it sticks out more to me than it would someone who didn't know this. Right now my concern is if the work is done correct.

thanks again
Attached Images

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The wedi board is your waterproofing and seems to be installed properly. The only change I would have made is to add one more stud tot he wall on the left side, but as long as you aren't doing the samba in the shower, you'll be ok.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, Sabrina, I read your first post incorrectly as your having a TileRedi shower pan instead of a "tile ready" shower pan. Then I was led further astray by Joseph in his first response. I am, therefore, fixin' to assign all blame to Joseph.

But that makes things less simple. If you have a Wedi pan and Wedi walls, why did the tile installation fail? Twice!

And how were the tiles removed from the floor and walls without damaging the Wedi board's waterproof surface? Twice.

You have any photos of the repair work in progress?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
wdw4me13

OK the installation only failed once. The 2nd installation had the tiles laid and they decided they were too close so they attempted to fix that by cutting the tiles after they were laid. The result of that was bad, as expected. Those tiles were removed, and when that was done the pan did get damaged cause we could see the foam. When i questioned that I was told it was still waterproof. They 'supposedly' fixed by putting a water proofing compound on it. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of this, I think I'm in denial and didn't want to face the fiasco that was happening. They never took the wall tiles off, which is another reason I'm questioning this repair.

thanks again

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase