Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
sixjs

Idiot proof Floor Leveling before tile

All,

Looking for some help on my kid's bathroom remodel. The floor is up, back down and have 1/4 hardie down too. It's a sixties walkout ranch with the midpoint perpendicular load bearing wall running essentially down the entire lengh of the bathroom. As you could imagine their is somewhat significant sag/sloping away both right and left. (I feel like a drunken sailor walking around in it)

To level I was thinking of building up the edges with leftover strips of hardie screwed and thinseted into place to act as a screed. Put down tar paper, then wire mesh and then SLC using the hardie strips along the edges and the hump from the load bearing wall as my screed. Makes sense? Am I missing anything? Would like to put down 12-13 inch tiles....should I also use ditra after? I don't think I can build the floor up too much more.

thx in advance.
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
bbcamp

Carl, if you want to use SLC to flatten your floor, that would work, but not the way you are planning. The SLC must be bonded to the floor, so tarpaper isn't used. It self levels (hence the name) so you don't build screeds, you just keep pouring until you reach the level you want.

There is a comprehensive SLC thread in the liberry you should read.

If you pour enough SLC to meet the manufacturer's minimum thickness, and reinforce it as the manufacturer instructs, you can use it as your tile underlayment and not use Ditra. Nothing wrong with using Ditra if you wanted to use it, just suggesting an alternative.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
sixjs

Thanks BB,

So, I'm looking for the SLC to bond to the hardie then? The old floor (45 year old building practices) had subfloor, tar paper, wire mesh, some type of SLC that appeared to be a really wet portland with the groovy speckled 1 inch tiles laid into.

Home Cheapo had some kind of SLC that talked about a primer like the thread you linked, however I didn't see any of it in stock. Wondering if I could use a comparable primer from the painting section?

thx,
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
bbcamp

You can pour SLC over Hardibacker. You must prime it first with the recommended primer. Not a paint primer, as the SLC simply won't stick to it.

Your Hardibacker must be installed per James Hardie's instructions, including thinset under the boards, and tape and mud joining the boards. If that is done, then forget about the lath and minimum thickness and the Ditra.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
sixjs

Dang! Looks like I have to pull up the boards and mud 'em back down. At least all the cuts are made.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase