Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
tileme

kerdi install basement install

yep - I am going to use it.

Now - question one: best way to install on a newly cemented floor?

Question two: Client now wants the shower to be a little longer then the orignal plans for a 4 x 4 shower. How can i achieve this with the shower
pan system that is only 4 x 4? Hmmmm. Can I tuck in a bit more mud at one end - or a little on both ends to provide a central drain?

In a basement, I was going to use the new sheetrock for moisture resistant
reasons (not green board). Any good collabration on that?

Thanks for assisting if you plan too.
Unread 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Am and welcome

Sounds like your a pro? What part of the world you workin in?

1-Kerdi is for shower floors, not for use outside of the shower. You can use Ditra outside the shower if you're trying to moisture proof out there. Have you read the Kerdi and Ditra Installation Handbooks? Orange Link on side of page over there somewhere----->

2-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am
Can I tuck in a bit more mud at one end - or a little on both ends to provide a central drain?
Yes

3-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am
In a basement, I was going to use the new sheetrock for moisture resistant reasons (not green board).
If you're talking about behind Kerdi, use regular drywall. Outside the shower, MR board is fine.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
tileme

kerdi basement install Shower Floor

Sorry - meant shower floor. I went and broke up concrete to install pipes, but was hit with water coming up from the soil. Bummer. Right now - I am trying to deal with taking care of that so i can actually do this.

I am actually a GP - but on the small side. I have done plenty of tiling, including shower, but i also install pipe/vent and etc and help people who tried to do things themselves. I know about kerdi from this site and put it in my bid. Can't wait to use something that makes SO MucH SENSE.

Like smart things and people. So back to my question (I little distracted with my new problem) The shower FLOOR - I am going to just pour the concrete and level, then do the kerdie method from that point on - any other info to collabrate on that part? Also - clients want a longer lenth then the orginal 4 x 4 - best method to add to the legth - say 4 x 5? appx?

Thanks a bunch! Now - any help on how to get the water out of my way - or
maybe you all want to come and help if I provide beer and good food? LOL

Eeek!
Unread 08-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

So, you're a plumber?

Read the Kerdi Shower handbook, and watch the videos, they'll help you to understand how to put that shower together properly. To make a 4x5 shower floor you can use deck mud for the whole thing(cheap) or extend the Kerdi tray with deck mud (not as cheap). Also check out the shower construction threads in the Liberry if you haven't already.

PS; need a bilge pump?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "

Last edited by dhagin; 08-26-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: +last comment
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
tileme

Plumber? and...

To date - there is not much I have not done. That's accumlative - of course through the years.

Water seems to follow me. I get on a job and I always find a problem it creates. Today it greeted me directly from the ground under the house.
I have already watched the kerdi videos - I while ago and then not too long ago since I did the bid. The mud will work, instead of the pan in this situation and I thank you for your imput.

This shower is going to be very nice.
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
tileme

Cool kerdi shower system

finding a good kerdi dealer for MN.
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Am.

I've combined your new thread here. Please bookmark this one and use it for all your project questions so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

If that last post is a question, I'll answer that buying online from Tile Experts.com is the fastest and easiest way I've found to get any Schluter product.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
tileme

Cool okay - found it and good to go.

I have only done a partial kerdi. One guy left the job. I heard from this site about it awhile back, and finishing it was slick. Don't want to it any way else, so now I am doing the the total shower.

Looks like I am going to have to order more membrane, however. They just added some other things to the shower.

I am very excited to do this part. Done plenty of tiling, but starting from the beginning with kerdi from the start.

So, thank you everyone!
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
tileme

glass block wall in shower

I am tiling a shower enclosure. One wall will be about 3 feet of glass block.
I am using kerdi membrane and the shower wall will stop at about 3 feet. It looks like the homeowner will not be buying glass end pieces. So, this means i will have to frame in a corner wall about 4 inches, then create the side framing to that area. Any suggestions on how to run the kerdi membrane to the frame? Do i wrap it on the frame under the glass block?

one more question: Will sanded grout work okay in the glass block. I am trying to match the grout in the rest of the shower - if possible. I have done glass block, but smaller amounts.

Last edited by tileme; 10-09-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Add
tileme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Company
Not sure if I'm understanding this correctly . But when I've run across this I've built the pony wall to an exact full of the block i.e. 32" or 40" . Then just ran my surface bullnose all the up the side as if was just a normal jam. Then across the top too. Help this helps ..
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
tileme

Talking Tile around it?

Chad, if I understand you correctly, you are stating to frame it in and bull nose the area on the end side of the glass block?

I am trying to keep this the best and most straight forward design. It first was only going to be a small section on the top row, now it's the whole wall.

I do not mind them changing their minds, but it's a lot more work. Love it when that isn't considered. Every change has it's issues, eh? oh well - more fun for me. (wink)

What I was thinking of doing is this: measuring my the glass block and spacing, and the building out from the wall that runs perp to it. Like in "L" shape, rather then to frame in the end. I will not be going all the way to the ceiling and will be treating this shower wall as more of a partition type wall.

I am building a sturdy "curb" level to place the blocks on running horizontally. i want to ensure sturdy verticle wall, but if I cannot go off the finish wall directly because of my block measurements, then I will have to build out a small wall next to it.

Any advice on this? i have to make up for what the homeowner decided on without letting me know before hand. The believe the kerdi membrane should wrap around that curb and verticle wall Also, do i use the thinset in the same fashion for those two foundation area's for the glass block. I tried to find this info out on my own, but I am a bit dizzy. (go ahead - make fun of that remark).

one more thing: for the shower area, will it be water proof enough to use the silicone method and grout the blocks afterwards? it would safe a bit of time, but it wouldn't be worth it if it doesnt do as good as job as just glass block mortar.

Last edited by tileme; 10-09-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
B Luv
JB MUD 2010 Grad

I've used the glass block mortar to stack my blocks, then gone back with the matching grout to finish it off. Just gotta make sure to get that mortar packed in so there are no visible bubbles. It seemed I could get the grout to smooth better than the glass block mortar with out as much mess,if that makes any sense.

B Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Should be Kerdied; everything on the inside of the shower to the showerhead. Since the grout or mortar isn't waterproof, preslope top of pony wall/ Kerdi to the outside of wall just like a curb when you wrap it/ add fancy decorative stuff.

I think Sevrin is saying just treat the end like the other jambs and stick your bullnose up it. Only other way I've seen it was done with a solid sill of travertine/ marble etc........
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Company
Yep Royce thats what I meant. I was thinking that this was a pony wall about 30-40 inches then the glass block on top of it.
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
tileme

Thumbs up Wow

I looked at the glass block thickness, and it's only 3 1/8 thick. I used this thickness for more recent projects, but not for showers.

You are saying to use mortar instead of that newer silicone installation.
Not a problem, but would there be a difference in water penatration?
The wall will be less then 25 sq feet now.

This is on basement concrete floor.
Opinions on that?

Plan is to build a supporting curb, of 2x4's up to place the block on. I am thinking of tilinling that curb and placing the block on it. That maybe the best look, and the best way to run the kerdi membrane. Just thinset then kerdi then the thinset/tile. if i have to build a frame surround this glass block, instead of having finished block ends, then they want a shower door. This project is stalled because of these decisions - and i want to help them make their decision. But, if I have to tile more because of additional framing - it's going to cost too.

New measurements: appx 32 inch horizontal to 6 feet high, including curb.
The total area including doorway is 5'2".

I should have been more proactive about their glass block idea, but I had no idea that it was changed. It went from a row of glass block to a whole wall.
Makes a lot of difference. Also, now a small shower bench is added.

Last edited by tileme; 10-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase