Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
houseblahblah

Help Cleaning Tile (scratches), scratches, marks, bad quality tile fixes

Hi, I am new to this forum, but have been having the worse time with my new home's tile. I feel the quality is terrible.

I have learned no matter how beautiful the tile looks does not mean it is good quality.

The problem is when we were decorating our house we put down some very sturdy fairly thick cardboard sheets to protect the tile, that is how they do things here, usually it will protect the tile, however after ripping up the sheets wow... scratches, holes, and even tape marks and cardboard marks on the floor. The chips probably nothing can be done about, and it seems some scratches won't come clean even though they look flat and feel flat. Our tile is brown, and the scataches are grey/silver, most of the are not too obvious, but there are a few long one's that cannot be cleaned. I am also disappointed to have found that even plastic is now damaging our tile, I figured only sharp metel would scratch the tile, I was wrong. Hard plastic also scratches it. I am really disappointed.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on why this happens and if there is any way to take care of the scratches so they disappear.

Here is the tile spec:

Brand: Jupiter
Name: Polished Porcelan Tile
Class: A
Color: 28-340
size: 60x60cm
weight: 7.5kg per tile
ingredients: clay, feldspar and granite

And I believe the tile was made in Indonesia, which could be the reason for the quality.

Also note, you may not be familar with the brand because I am not living in the US. I am an American expat living in Asia.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can shed some light for me.
houseblahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
ob1kanobee

Go to a tile that cannot be readily seen or take one that has not been laid, like a leftover piece.

For the gray metal marks try some straight plain white vinegar on a rag, doesn't take much, just a little on the corner of a rag. Rub the mark continiously to see if it doesn't dissapear. If it does carefully inspect the tile to make sure you also did not remove the polish (buff off with a LITTLE water and dry rag and make sure tile is dry). If it is still wet it could look polished.

I would tell you to use wet sand or wet grout but it sounds as if that scratched your tile. I would check that too though on a piece of spare tile if possible.

Most of the time those gray marks are lines from dragging furniature, ladders or something like that across the floor which was metal.

The marks that I have seen caused from plastic have come from installers dragging buckets of water or grout along the floor as they are in the grouting porocess. Yours also could have come from sand under the cover/protection material and tradesman walking over it.

Either way, I think you did get some cheap tile though.

In the long run you MAY have to resort to removing the polish all together from the tile if you can't live with the way it currently looks and the fact that it may continue to scratch.

The best thing you can do is experiament with spare tiles. Try vinegar, comet, ajax or Bar Keepers Friend is pretty mild. You want to create a paste out of one of those cleaners with tender tile such as yours before attempting to use it to remove scratches or else you may just scratch it more.

If you decide to remove the polish, it will take one to three powerful acid washes and again experiamentation on your part to see if you can achieve desired results. (could be less or more acid washes, don't know, depends on a few variables).

Some others may have input on this but this personally happened on one of my jobs with cheap polished tile. Check to see if the plastic marks are circular, which would point to my theory that it was caused by buckets. They don't all have to be circular but if you find a good handful of them then you may have found the culprit.

If you decide to experament, post your findings or PM me if you need any more tips as this thread could get lost. I will try to help you as best as I can as I have been in this predicament once on a grand scale and several times with minor issues.

Hopefully some others can add some advice but your real problem is going to be those plastic, if indeed they are plastic, scratches. Maybe someone knows a trick I don't or may have forgot about.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Well the (polished) part gives it away.Those scratches, at least the plastic ones may be just the residue of the material left on the face of the tile.Basically porcelain is pretty durable, and harder than most things you would scratch it with..unless of course it is inferior.The cleaning Ben mentioned may do some good, myself i'd try the Barkeepers friend, be sure to rinse,as it has oxalic acid.Also polished porcelain should be sealed even before grouting with an impregnating sealer.Don't know if i'd try an acid bath for removing the polish,might remove it i dunno,depending on the strngth,but it may be too strong and damage any metals in the house, but a honing powder and buffer would work,but cleaning the powder outta the pits may be a problem.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase