Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
steve_w

A ledge at the end of bathtub

Hi, this is such a great forum. wish i knew of it earlier. i am remodeling my bathroom and the new tub is slighly shorter than the wall space (length-wise)
so I am thinking about pushing the tub all the way to the left side and on the right end of the tub (<. 1 foot space), instead of drywalling it all the way to the ceiling, I am going to build a ledge so that I can put soap/ shampoo ... etc. How high do you recommend I build this ledge? If I am going to build it to the same level as the tub, is there any special thing I should watch out as far as tiling/ water proofing is concerned? I am worried this extra space may accumulate water, which makes easier for water to seep through. Thanks!
steve_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Mike2

Hi Steve, glad to have you with us.

Building a shelf might work and it can be waterproofed with a liquid membrane like RedGard. There may be other options as well.

When you say the new tub is slightly shorter, exactly how much is that? What does (<. 1 foot space) mean? Finally, does this tub also have a vertical wall flange at each end in front?

P.S. Here's a link to Custom's RedGard product, commonly found in the tiling section of most Home Depot stores. http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=pro&lang=en

Last edited by Mike2; 07-23-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added url link
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase