Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
agoings

VCT install in basement

Hi guys and gals, we are finally onto another project in the house. I know this is ceramic tile forum but I didn't know if any of you pros or novices knew much about installing VCT. I'm installing it in my laundry in the basement and there is an existing floor drain, it is in the middle of the room and I wasn't sure how to finish it off. Do i place a tile over it and poke holes in it or what. Thanks to all who respond! Looking forward to another finished project!
agoings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
dcousins

I installed vct last year and still have to finish the other side of the basement. I have no drain holes, but for some reason I feel that I have seen vinyl concrete tile surrounding drain holes. what I would do is trace the drain circle (get the diameter and draw on a piece of cardboard) and lay out the tile as they will meet and then trace the circle onto the tile and then cut with a knife. I guess you could lay them and then cut where the drain is but I am note sure if this will be harder or easier. it may not matter but I wouldn't want to have all that adhesive mess to deal with while I am cutting. good luck.
Unread 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
JTG

At the drain you want to cut out the VCT around the drain. A real sharp utility blade should do it for you. If there is a dip in the floor here you might find that if you heat up the tile with a hair dryer or heat gun you can get the tile to lay down and follow the contour of the floor better.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase