Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 12-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
swamprat

Pensacola, FL tile contractor needed

Hi, I'm in need of a tile contractor in the Pensacola, FL area. Have done the phone book thing and am not satisfied. Thank you, Paul
swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-21-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Paul,
We have a few forum members writting in from Florida and I'm sure one or two of them will see your distress call. Whether they can help you or not is another story.
What sort of project do you have lined up? Is it the sort of thing that you'd consider tackling yourself if you had someone holding your hand?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
swamprat

Thanks for the reply. Tiling kitchen and bath over plywood about 135 sq/ft. 16x16 in kithchen and 12x12 in bath. Have inquired about using 1/4 Hardi to keep height down and responses range from "don't use it, don't need thinset under backer, don't need taped joints. Other responses include don't need to use spacers (which I can understand to some degree), don't or will not use spectralock or any epoxy type grout. I just want what I want and a quailty job. Average price was $1.00 sq/ft to lay backer and $3.00 sq/ft for tile/grout. Paul
Unread 12-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

Not that I can do it but are the prices not right? Or is it they don't speak English. They are about the prices I use or close and are just about the mid range for FL. Be careful what kind of deal your getting. If you do your homework and know what to ask an installer you will be at best advantage.
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Swamprat, sorry to hear good knowledgable help is hard to find, glad to hear your looking for some.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
swamprat

Hi Scott, I didn't ask for a certain price or ever say I want the best price, this is the average price of quotes I received. Yes, this average price is "right" as far as being the average amount I was quoted and if I read you post correctly this price is in your range. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough but I feel I have asked the right questions as evident from my first post. I'll pay a the going rate for quality work in my area, maybe a little more if the job is superior. I don't care if they can speak a lick of english as long as they can do the job. Thank you, Paul
Unread 12-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, Paul.

I'm going to add your location to the title of this thread to grab some more attention.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

Not sure if you got me wrong, just saying if take a couple of minutes to find some proper methods of install, you will know and be able to compare them to the install you may receive.
See if your tile guy climbs under the house to see the structure and floor framework. If he gives you a bid with out even questioning that it's a bad start. That should be the first thing he does. There are many things to watch for but you seem to know what most of them are. Good luck and if he speaks english he will understand when you say get me a beer before tile me out of a fridge.
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase