Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
reverend_ron

Question First time tiler, first time poster.

I just bought 4-yr old home. I wasn't happy with the tile job, every room has cracks. Plus, workmanship is shoddy. Up it comes.

The tiled rooms border 3/8-in laminate hardwood floors.

Old tile was 1/4-in x 6-in wall tile. I visited the tile store today and gained a little knowledge. Now I seek advice.

I've learned that the "floor tile" is 3/8-in thich, not 1/4-in like previously used.

I'm starting with 3/4-in thick OSB flooring.
The wood floor height is 3/8-in.

Although a first time tiler, I do not want to just redo with thin-set on top of OSB and add tile, hoping for no cracks in the future. SO,

1. Do I replace the OSB with Plywood?

2. Do I keep OSB, add thin-set, DITRA, then tile?

3. Do I add thin-set, 1/4-in backer board, thin-set, then tile?

4. Do I add thin-set, 1/2-in backer board, thin-set and tile?

5. Do I add thin-set, 3/8-in Rhino board, thin-set tile?

6. Best to use metal or wood transition piece?

Thanks in advance, Ron
reverend_ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Ron, Welcome.

First things first. Let's figure out why the old installation failed. We will need to know how your flooring system is constructed and from what it is constructed. Size, spacing and unsupported span of joists. Gotta have that info. It can then be entered into our Deflectolator, and we can determine what needs to be done/what products should be used.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
reverend_ron

I have Georgia Pacific Wood I Beams, 1" x 12" S6 on 19" spacing, supported every 13 feet. 3/4" OSB is current flooring in bathroom, 68"W x 60"D with a 36" x 36" entry.
Unread 01-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
bbcamp

There is no approved method for installing tiles on a single layer of plywood or OSB when the joists are spaced over 16 inches. As a minimum, you'll need a un-coupling membrane (Ditra) on top of the existing OSB, then your tiles (your item 2). Your new floor will be a tad over 1/4" higher than the laminate. You can use one of Schluter's metal edging strips for the transition.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
reverend_ron

Bob (bbcamp)

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little leary about the Ditra over the OSB and going for it - but, the last guy just had tile and a v-e-r-y minimal amount of thinset under the tile and only a few were cracked. So I'd say with the Ditra, my strength may be improved over what was there and the tile won't crack again.

Where do you live in East Tennessee? I live in Friendsville (Maryville/Lenoir City) and I'm a Bomb Squad Tech ... I noticed your Avatar and it looks M.I.G.H.T.Y familiar to some of the work I've done!

Ron
Unread 01-31-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
bbcamp

I work in Oak Ridge. The guys in my avatar are the Stankhammers, the world's oldest living siamese triplets. Do a site search and find out more about them.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase