Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
elliemaeisme

Starting a tile shower

Can someone help me please? My husband and I are wanting to install a walk in tiled shower and we have a few idea's of how we are going to do it, but we need to know how reinforced that our floor should be before starting the shower. we wanting to build a 4x6 walk-in shower in a corner with a 4 1/2 foot wall on the side and on the end.
elliemaeisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-23-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Billy

Hi Ellie Mae -- I think that's your name? Welcome aboard!

First you need to tell us the size & spacing of your floor joists so that we can check your floor deflection. You can check it yourself by entering the information here:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

What is your subfloor? Is it plywood or particle board? How thick is it?

Then, you can learn all about building showers by going to the John Bridge "Liberry" and reading these articles:
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5434

Lots of good reading here in the Liberry:
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/foru...itle&order=asc

(Note the links "Liberry" and "Deflecto" in the upper part of this page.)

Others will be along to help you soon.

Billy
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Mike2

Hi elliemaeisme and welcome.

In addition to what Billy said, we need to know the length/span of your joists between supports in that bathroom area.

One more curiosity question: Is there any particular reason why you are concerned about the strength of your floor? For example, is there noticeable flexing in there that causes you to believe reinforcement is necessary?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Ellie Mae.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
elliemaeisme

At my wit's end !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2
Hi elliemaeisme and welcome.

In addition to what Billy said, we need to know the length/span of your joists between supports in that bathroom area.

One more curiosity question: Is there any particular reason why you are concerned about the strength of your floor? For example, is there noticeable flexing in there that causes you to believe reinforcement is necessary?
Thanks all for your help in the shower thingy, your site has been so helpful. I wanted to reply to Mikes question though. Yes Mike there is a reason why I was concerned about the strength of the floor. Winter before last my hubby and I decided that we were going to put down Tile threw out our home. Of course we did what most amitures would do and went to Lowes to find out everything we would need. Now to understand my frustration here, you have to understand that we will be married 15 years on Feb 9, 2005. My hubby built this house in 1985, And he had everything finished in it xcept the floor when we got married. Well, because of faimly problems, haveing a baby, and fighting for cousdty of my step-son, we have waited this long to try to finish the floors. Anyway, The guys at Lowes told us all about the Hardiboard, so we bought that and layed that under our tile. Parts of the house, (hallway, part of living room) have that presswood as a subfloor, and we were concerned about that at the time, but they insured us that with the hardiboard that we wouldnt have any problems (WRONG). With in the first few weeks the tile in my hallway started cracking, breaking, and coming up. So now we are in the process of ripping every bit of it up, including the hardiboard which as you know is nailed down every 4-6 inches. and are having to rip up the sub-floor to install a new one. Now when we did all this , we were unable to afford to finish the kitchen and the bathroom floors, so we are about to finish those now. So we decided to go with our own version of a walk-in tiled shower, but we have decided to go with a fiberglass pan for the bottom of the shower and then tile around it instead of building it on our on. I'm not really sure about the floor joist, as far as how far apart they are. But i do know that where we have laid the tile in the bedrooms where there was plywood. we havent had a problem with them at all, they are all still in place and not a single one of them have broken. So we are hopeing that when we relay all the subfloors with plywood and new hardiboard that this time we will have better sucess . If you have any suggestions as to how to make this work even better, it would be deeply appericated. I'm at my wits end. thanks alot guys ! Ya'll are awesome!!
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
bbcamp

Ellie Mae, I appreciate the troubles you and hubby have gone through, and we really want to make sure you don't go through them again. hat's why wer need that floor joist information. It's part of the overall package, so you start with a good foundation and work your way up.

We also have a number of threads about tiling knee walls and using fiberglass receptors, so you might do a little searching.

Also, check out www.jameshardie.com for instructions for installing Hardibacker. Follow them to the letter.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
elliemaeisme

Hey Bob, Sorry hun had to get that information from my hubby, our floor joist are on 16" centers. with an inch an 1/8 plywood for the floor. Hope this helps. Thanks again
Unread 01-25-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
Mike2

Ok elliemae, that's a good start.

What is under this floor? Basement, crawlspace, ??? such that you or hubby have access to measure how deep the joists are (2X8", 2X10", etc.) and how far apart the supports that hold them up are spaced? We call that the span. Like Bob said, this is important to make sure you don't experience the same cracking problem again.

By the way, 1 1/8" plywood for the subfloor is good news.

P.S.:

a.) When the Hardiboard was put down in that part of the house tiled before, was it layed on top of thinset that was trowled onto the sub-floor? Or was it simply nailed down with nothing between it and the "pressed board".
b.) And about this pressed board, it look like wood chips all glued together, or more like fine particle saw dust pressed and glued together?

Both those things important for us to know as well.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase