Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
johno697

Need flexible grout

Hello folks,

Had bathroom remodeled about 6 months ago. Converted tub to a shower.
8x10 beige wall tiles & 3x3 "bluish" floor tiles. Medium blue grout.

Approx 3/8" grout line where walls meet floor. Contractor originally ran bead of WHITE caulking. The wife didnt like that..looked kinda funky...so she dug out the caulk and filled in with the same blue sanded grout that was used everywhere else.

Everything's been fine except (surprise) there are now hairline cracks at the wall/floor joint. Water is seeping into the joint and takes days to dry out. I guess the floor and walls are flexing.

Can't seem to find a silicon caulk to match the blue grout. Can I dye clear silicon?

Suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

John
johno697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

John, it's gonna be a special order but I think you can probably get caulk to match your grout. What color and brand are they? Otherwise, I suppose you could mix the grout with a latex additive and repack those joints after cleaning them out completely?
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
Tilezilla

John, Check out Red Devil Create a color caulk: http://www.reddevil.com/
The homeowner setup will run you about $40 + latex paint. The stuff actually works pretty well if you have a little patience. I add a product called M-1 paint additive to the caulk same ratio as you would for paint (it prevents mold/mildew growth). Get M-1 at a good paint store (Benjamin Moore or SW)
Tilezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

If you want silicone, I think you'll have to go with clear. Otherwise it's latex.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
sean riha

My HomeDepot has the ColorCaulk brand which is a silicone+acrylic caulk. not quite as good as a pure silicone, but if you need the color to match it may be worth the lesser performance.
sean riha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #6
johno697

Need flexible grout-continued

Thanks to all who resonded.

My wife doesn't want caulk, even if its tinted to match the existing grout.

She was a professional house cleaner for many years and swears that caulk will mildew.

She says we can add some kind of acrylic to our PolyBlend grout to make it "flexible". Then we can remove most of the cracked grout and re-apply the new mix.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks again.

John
johno697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
Tilezilla

Unless someone here can say they've seen where epoxy grout would do in this application, I'd have to tell you grout won't survive at that transition. TCA sez caulk, and for good reason.

Your wife is partially correct, but the area will mold and midew with grout as well. It's the nature of the beast. Mold grows where it's alway damp and especially dark. I thought that's why professional cleaning people used bleach or vinegar in tanker car quantities.
Tilezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
Unregistered

To grow, mold requires water and a food source. If soap scum is a great food source. If your wife keeps her caulking clean, mold will not grow.
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
john2454

My wife is a retired professional, commercial cleaner and swears that bar soap is a major cause of soap scum. She says that liquid soap will not form as much scum and therefore will reduce the mildew that forms on grout & caulking.

Opinions?
john2454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Use grout again. It will have to replaced every once in a while but so will the caulk.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
rich7

And try towel drying the shower after each use...that will prevent any sort of little nasties from growing..
Unread 07-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
erikjo

Could you use shoemolding to fix this?
erikjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
Cynthia2

Don't know if this will help any, but I used an SGM grout, which says it's polymer modified, not really stretchy, but maybe it will help.

As for mold, everything molds if damp & dirty. I bought a house with tile grout so mildewed it was black (turned out to really be beige). I scrubbed it clean with new Tilex mildew killer and sealed it with Stand n Seal, which successfully repelled the breakfast coffee i spilled on it the other day.

Anyway, my bathroom has no ventilation, so I just put a tabletop fan that occilates in there and I turn it on the second I leave the shower, I also use a really absorbant, rubberbacked mat. By the time I'm done getting ready for work (10 minutes) the room is dry, no steam on the mirrors or anything. Been there 4 months, have yet to do anything but sweep the floor, and no mildew even with the Florida humidity.

Cynthia

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase