Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
jazz

Cleanup and Disposal building materials

Hi guys,

I'm doing a Saltillo install and I got a lot of valuable advice from you guys before.

To prepare myself before the install, I made a little test area on my patio and went through the install process with only 4 tiles. I just wanted to see what problems I might encounter.

Everything went without incident except the grout really did dry really fast (needs to be much wetter) and the sealer needs to be applied with a roller. The sealer left some whitish areas where the sealer was applied a little to thick.

Ok the question I had is how to I best dispose of some of the garbage/building materials from the install.

1. Thinset -> I guess this stuff you can just let dry and throw in the garbage.

2. Grout -> Any issues with this stuff being thrown away? Like the thinset let it dry in the bucket then break it off and throw it?

3. Sealer (Aquamix high gloss sealer for saltillo) how do I throw that stuff away? It's a milky white liquid that doesn't dry. I doubt I can flush that stuff down the toilet, especially in a drout area. Any ideas?
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-10-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

With thinset and grout, I usually mix about the right amount that I need so there isn't much to throw out. I just scrape the bucket out while its still wet and put it in an old tile box or garbage bag, then I rinse the bucket out so I can use it again. I don't know of any problems with disposing grout and thinset.

The EPA might have a problem with the sealer, I'm not sure. But why would you want to throw it out? It is expensive, and you will have to re-do it someday. I would hang on to it.
Unread 07-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
jazz

>>But why would you want to throw it out? It is expensive, and you will have to re-do it someday. I would hang on to it.

Yeah but you'll always have some sealer left over in the bottom of the bucket and when you want to rinse the bucket out with water to disolve the sealer you have to put it somewhere.

I don't just want to throw away sealer but just sometimes after working with sealer, there is a little left over. How do you throw that away?
Unread 07-11-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
jazz

^Bump^
Unread 07-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Water base i wouldn't worry,oil base if you're eco-conscious you could put in a container and take to drop point.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Rinse the bucket and dump it in the wife's flower beds.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase