Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
gellfex
Jon

Is there a tile/stone solution to this exterior stair problem?

5 years ago I paid a "mason" to fix this stair with cracks and a huge disintegrated chunk at the top, now it's a disaster again. He ground open the cracks and filled them, now its all gone. My roofer who also does masonry suggested sandstone treads as part of a major cement resurfacing, but I'm wondering if there's not a tile facing solution for most of the surfaces. Notice also the risers of the stairs are currently uneven, we should probably fix that.

Part of the problem is having a surface that can withstand having ice chipped off. I've considered ice melting systems, electric, or hydronic off the gas boiler, but I don't live there to turn it on and off appropriately, nor do I know the cost of that.

Any ideas would be appreciated, this is outside my wheelhouse, and my trust of local contractors to give sound advice is low. It appears that the brute force approach would be to strip off the stairs and 4" of the landings and repour everything with rebar and mesh. But is there a stone or tile surfacing solution for this current mess that would be attractive and durable?
Attached Images

Unread 07-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
gellfex
Jon

Really, no one has anything at all on this problem?
Unread 07-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, Jon.......how to put this? You've clearly got some structural issues with the landing. Can't really tell how sound the treads and risers might be. You could certainly bond some tile to all of it if you wanted, but while it might look a bit more attractive for a short time, I don't see a long future for some if it.

And before you do that.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Notice also the risers of the stairs are currently uneven, we should probably fix that.
Yes, quite noticeable. And rather unsafe, truth be known. If you leave it alone, chances are your local code compliance people will do the same. If you "improve" the stair, however, you are responsible for creating an unsafe condition and the city of (you should put that geographic location in your User Profile) might suddenly demand that you correct the situation that you have now created.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
gellfex
Jon

@cx, I appreciate the opinion, and it's not surprising in the least. Sometimes I look at it and wonder if the whole damn thing doesn't need to come down. Maybe I need an engineer to look at it. Usually this old stuff is completely overbuilt, and this is on what should be pretty solid ground on top of the Palisades in Jersey City, but proper footings were not always a thing ~120 years ago.
Unread 07-21-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jon, if you don't put that geographic location into your User Profile the information will be lost before we leave this page and that information is very important in answering some types of questions.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase