Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
JakeFP

Fireplace grout

Hi All,

I'm having my house remodeled, including putting in a new fireplace. The stone and fireplace are installed, real stone veneer with .5-2.5" grout lines that need to be filled in. The builders have only filled in grout lines using the same mortar they use for installation. My problem is it's dark gray and we want closer to a white/off white/light gray grout. The builders are saying they are unfamiliar with what grout product would work well for this. Any recommendations? One person I met said to use the white Mapei Large Tile and Stone Mortar and add some dye if I want it any darker. Thoughts? Thanks!

Jacob
Unread 07-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jacob, it might be best to post a picture of what you have. Sounds like you're wanting to apply grout over their mortar. The thinset mortar you mentioned might be hard to work with and it would be hard to avoid getting it on the stone. Once on the stone it could be hard to remove.

If the color is all that you don't like, maybe a grout stain would be best.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
JakeFP

Picture

Did my best to attach image, hope it works. Thanks for your reply, there’s no mortar or anything else in the grout lines currently. Looking for what to use to grout that will be light in color and can handle gaps that large and the heat from the fireplace. Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 07-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jacob.

I think I'd rather take a beatin' than try to grout that! Not saying it can't be done, of course.

Sure you can't live with the dry-stack look?

There are a number of grouts on the market these days that advertise use for gaps up to 3/4" in width. Or you could mix your own from sand and white Portland cement and a colorant if you want. Gonna take a whole gaggle of grout, whatever you choose, and the home brew would be far less expensive.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
JakeFP

Thanks CX! I wanted drystack and have the builders lay them flush, but I deferred to my wife on this one as she let me have my say on many other design elements. She’s insistent on a lighter color grout that will lighten up the overall look of the fireplace. I attached an image of what she’s hoping it looks like. Is there a specific grout brand you would recommend? Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 07-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would recommend a brand to which you have easy access. All the manufacturers make a grout suitable for your application. In cementitious grouts (what I'd want in your application), Custom advertises grout for joints up to 1/2-inch. MAPEI for joints up to 5/8ths-inch. Laticrete up to 1/2-inch.

But any of those I think would work in your application, even though you'll be exceeding the advertised joint width in places. I think the primary problem there is usually lack of color consistency due widely varying grout thickness and curing time.

Given the amount of grout you'll need and your particular application, I would still mix my own grout with brick sand and Portland cement, white in your case, at about a 3:1 ratio just as we do for grouting Saltillo tiles. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Recently we replaced some mortar joints in cast stone. We used white sand (looks about like sugar), white masonry cement and white portland cement, 4 to 1 to 1. All were bought from a masonry supply. We used a grout bag to apply the grout.

I would want to practice a little to see which way cleans the stone the best. As a tile setter, I like using a wet sponge to clean with but sometimes a wet sponge can smear grout into the pores of the stone. A mason would likely use a grout bag too but would strike the joints and use a brush to clean the mortar off the stone.

Edit; The brick sand Cx mentioned wouldn't be as white as the grout with the sugar sand but the brick sand would probably be easier to work with and might be a better color for your stone. Of course you want to get the color mixture figured out along with the clean up procedure first.

Edit again; My son just corrected me, we made the white grout 3 to 1 to 1.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 07-14-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 08-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
JakeFP

Fireplace grouted!!

Hi all, so sorry for the delay! The fireplace has finally been grouted. We ended up buying mapei grout and the builders said it worked well. To @cx, they looked like they took a beating when they got done. Thanks all for your help!!
Attached Images

Unread 08-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Looks good. Glad it worked out.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase