Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #1
TX2021

Tiling problems with an old cast iron tub/shower

I have a house built in the 70’s having a heavy cast iron tub/shower. I want to demo the tiles and re-do the plumbing and tiles.

However, I found that my tub is different from the new tubs which have a flange at the tube edge and about 1” space to install backboard and tiles.

My tube’s edge is not any higher (If is, it is unnoticeable) and it has about (~1 and 3/4”) space between the edge to the current tile face.

I need ideas on how to fill the ~3/4” space, and how to install the backboard on the no-flange tub edge.

Thank you.
Unread 07-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Tyi, I'm having trouble (apparently others too) figuring out exactly what you're explaining. Can you post a picture to help us out?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
TX2021

Lightbulb Tiling problems with an old cast iron tub/shower

The tiles have not been removed. I apologize that I cannot show the pictures for you to see the entire tub deck and the relationship with the studs.
I am not the original owner. The installation, did 45 years ago, used two green boards that let me think the distance from studs to "tile face" may be LONGER than normal.
However, yesterday I heard that I may not need two Hardie backer board; just use furring strips to fill the space if needed.
I also heard that contractors installed two boards (decades ago) to make the tile wall stick out (look thicker) and use "quarter round" for the edge. At present time, the tile installers do not do it anymore; prefer the thinner bullnose so there is no need for two backer boards.
I would like to hear experts’ opinions on how to handle this: 1. use furring strips or 2. two backer boards 3. other methods
The tub does not have the flange (lip). Searching internets, I found there are "tiling-in flange" available. Has anyone used it before? Do you like it? which brand? I also read I can use "window/door Moisture Barrier tape" on the tub deck and extend about 6” to the studs. If anyone has done it or has other methods, I would appreciate it if you could share it with me.
I am a senior and have not done any bathroom improvement work. Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 07-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If the opening in the wood framing was built too wide for the tub, that might be why they furred out the wall. That way the tile would reach out over the tub lip. Is that what you were trying to explain in post 1?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
TX2021

Davy.

You are right because the space between the drywall and tub edge is almost 8”- 9” at the plumbing wall (This is the only wall I can see from the access panel), the original builder furred out the studs.

After searching the web, I finally decide to use “Wedi bathtub system” The Wedi Texas area manager answered my questions via emails; I think it can be done by putting beads of Wedi sealer at the edge of the tub and install the Wedi board. I also need to use “Wedi’s tub sealing tape with its Butyl waterproofing strip.”

I will have a certified Wedi installer to do the project; he can decide whether the studs need to be furred out.

Wedi is a good product; it is sturdy and waterproof.

Thank you.
Unread 07-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tyi.

While Wedi can be used in your application, it does not, alone, solve the problem of your inadequate tub tiling flange.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2021, 05:02 AM   #7
TX2021

Lightbulb Help on picking a “add-on tub flange”

Hi CX,

I remember you mentioned “add-on tiling flange” at other posting. I am thinking of installing one. There are few different types such as Kohler vinyl tiling-in bead, Comfortflo tile flange (L shape with metal on top)…etc. I do not know which one is better.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could recommend one.

Many thanks.

Last edited by TX2021; 07-25-2021 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Make it clear
TX2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

I don't know either, Tyi. The vinyl type, and I think it was a Kohler brand, is the only type I've ever used. That was a loooong time ago, and I have no idea what might be available on today's market.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
TX2021

Lightbulb

Hi CX,

Thank you.

Kholer still has the Vinyl tiling-in bead. It has more reviews than the L shape tile flange.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase