Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #1
robbybobby123

How to fix small rips in Kerdi membrane

I just finished all but the first row of a tiling job using Kerdi membrane underneath. I had used 2x4s screwed in at the bottom as a leveler, leaving enough room so that I could Kerdi-band over the holes at the end with 2" overlap in all directions. However, when I pulled the 2x4 off one wall, thinset had adhered the board to the Kerdi and caused small rips in the membrane immediately below the bottom edge of the tile. Since they are so close to the bottom of the tile, I won't be able to get a 2" overlap without pulling off the first row of tile.

Is pulling off the tile my only chance of salvaging this? I'm worried about causing more damage to the Kerdi. I bought Kerdi-fix, but the more I read about it, the more I've come to think that this would not be a proper use for it and wouldn't be waterproof. What are my options here?

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 06-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, TR,

Can't quite see from the photos, did the Kerdi actually rip it is it just the fleece that came off?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
robbybobby123

I'll try to get better photos of it tonight, but there are some rips in the membrane, more than just the top fleece. I was hoping to kind of patch it up with a layer of Kerdi-fix, but I'm not confident it'll be waterproof. I've never used Kerdi-fix before.
Unread 06-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Kerdi Fix is some awesome stuff. I would not hesitate to smear a good coating on the areas and call it "good to go."
Unread 07-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
robbybobby123

Thanks for the response, makes me feel a little more comfortable. I'm going to proceed with the Kerdi-Fix.

In case any one else ever has this issue, I also copy-pasted my question to Schluter directly and received the following from their Contact Support Team.

"In this situation I would advise you patch the rip the best you can with Kerdi or Kerdi-tape and touch up where you can't patch with the Kerdi-Fix. Although not the most ideal scenario it is acceptable to use the Kerdi-Fix for this purpose. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions."
Unread 07-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi TR,

The Schluter approved way would be to patch it with another layer of Kerdi or Kerdi Band. 2 in. overlap all the way around.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase