Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
Tx_guy

What is your opinion of this shower install?

Rather than do it myself, we decided to contract with the tile store for installation. Wanted to have some recourse should things not work out.

Current concerns (see pics):
1. Is the water proofing on thick enough? Installer told me two coats was the requirement.
2. Should the joints in the niche be taped?
3. The lead guy (only one who spoke any English) had told me the curb would be mudded, but he didn't make it back from another job at end of day. The next day the tile installer guy lays the floor, the lead shows up later and creates the curb with cement board filled in with thinset. No Bostik Goldplus applied. I had earlier in the framing stage made the curb base out of brick.
4. When the cleats were removed, expect the screw holes were filled with thinset but the area was not rewaterproofed.
5. See any other installation weaknesses.

Thanks,

Mitch
Attached Images

Unread 05-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Mitch,

1) Hard to tell from here, but looks rather thin. No idea what product it is though.

2) In order to water proof the seams with a liquid membrane they would have had to either tape and mud them, or apply some kind or product specific fabric material. You saying neither were done?

3) If he attached the cement board to the curb with screws he simply defeated the PCV liner's water proofing. Also, the curb looks pretty low.

4) Screw holes from the legers should have been filled and water proofed.

5) Was the layer of mortar under the PVC liner sloped to the drain?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
Tx_guy

1. Bostik Goldplus
2. Only time fabric was used was on the seams at the walls. None in the niche.
3. No screws were used on the inside of the curb. In the photo you can see he clamped the cement board on the ends until dry.
4. Agreed
5. Preslope was perfect. Off center drain, slope calculated to farthest corner.

Thanks for your input.
Unread 05-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mitch.

3. Clamped the "cement board" to exactly what, to dry? Keeping in mind that there is no correct way to use CBU on the curb of a conventionally built shower receptor (what you have).

And they filled the void we see above the liner on the curb top with thinset mortar? Looks to be 3/4" or more.

Appears they started with a very low curb. You have the required minimum of 2" above the drain?

The minimum required thickness of the top mortar bed in a shower is 1 1/2" and, again, I'm not seeing room for them to have complied with that. Perhaps it just the photos?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
SpaceCadet

If you look at the 3rd picture, they didn't mortar the joints between the sheets of wallboard at all. Anywhere. They just put mesh tape on them and applied whatever that waterproofing goop is over it. That's mesh tape which is supposed to reinforce thinset (or in this case, probably drywall compound), not a fabric which is supposed to reinforce liquid-applied waterproofing membrane. And it looks like they put that on with a brush, not a roller. I'm not an expert but I'm reasonably sure that that's wrong.

Also I don't know the codes in your area but that light switch right next to the shower probably wouldn't pass muster in an inspection or is at least not the best idea.

Last edited by SpaceCadet; 05-06-2021 at 01:57 PM.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
Tx_guy

Just measured the vertical height of the existing curb to drain, 2-3/4". The curb will be capped with 30mm granite.

3. Clamped the curb cement board in a cement board/thinset/liner sandwich. Believe he epoxied the liner to the brick framing.

Light switch location is original. We're just outside the city of Cedar Park, but in general Tx inspectors are very lax. In our last Dallas area neighborhood subdivision built in 2000, not a single chimney met code in regard to the required horizontal distance to roof.

Doubt the mortar bed is 1-1/2". Saw the guy screw the drain portion of the Oatey drain most of the way down, if not all the way. Easy to estimate a measure though, level slab across the room.

Left out another important point. From day one I insisted all wall/wall and wall/floor intersections would be caulked, not grouted. Non english speaker was grouting everything so I call the lead who is at another job says he will be right there....shows three days later and wants to put caulk over the grout. Sent him packing.

From the great comments, sounds as if I may have a time bomb on my hands and the tile store is now carrying a big liability.

Last edited by Tx_guy; 05-06-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Tx_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #7
Lou_MA

That’s a curious curb construction, but incorrect all the same. Thinset isn’t designed to stick to the pvc liner.
Unread 05-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #8
Gozo

Quote:
From the great comments, sounds as if I may have a time bomb on my hands and the tile store is now carrying a big liability.
Usually, I just sit back and watch on threads like this. The piece quoted above went “ping!” in my mind. I’m not sure how the tile store is carrying any practical liability. Even if everything was done totally wrong, I’ve never known a retail shop to say “yep, we messed up. We’ll fix it”. The usual is the crew is contract labor through a string of 3 other guys. “But they told us that they’re skilled and experienced with shower installs” puts it on the contractor, who hired the workers as subcontractors, so they’ll pass the buck to them. They’ll be hard to find down the road. Going through the legal process will likely make only the lawyers happy.

Life’s a time bomb…. If you’re not happy now; get it fixed now. If you wait for it to fail, and decide you want your pound of flesh regardless of cost; beware of when they ask you “when did you first know this wasn’t right?”. “Oh, while they were working on it” isn’t going to win you any sympathy.

If it were me (been there, done that), I’d take my bellyache now and at least be able to not constantly be bothered by the ticking time bomb in the bathroom.

I’m not familiar with Bostik’s GoldPlus (I’ve used other of their products with great results) so I looked at their website. Says this: “ After pre-treatment of coves and corners, apply a continuous film at 20-30 mil (thickness of a drivers license) over the remaining area. Allow it to dry for 1 hour.” My current driver’s license is pretty much a plastic credit card material. When I was a teenager, it was basically file folder material. Even using that as the standard, the waterproofing they put on is waaay thinner than that. 30mils is a thick layer.

Last edited by Gozo; 05-07-2021 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added Bostik comment
Gozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
Tx_guy

Jeff,
Thanks so much for all your comments. I little more history is needed here. I used the term "liability" a little loose. My contract is with the locally owned tile store, not with whom they allocated the work. So, they (the tile store) will have to make me whole on the contract, either by a total redo (based on this community's comments) or refund my deposit - making me assume responsibility for future issues.

As for "what did you know when", I do have an audit trail of electronic communication with the store and the lead in regard to waterproofing thicknesses and other assorted issues where the store's response was always in the flavor of "lead knows best."

It's really unfortunate how this project turned out. I was so pleased with the first day(a Friday), the lead and his helper showed up on time, protected all the floors, wrapped the mstr bedroom furniture in plastic, laid down a perfect preslope and hours later, after coming back from another job, started the cement board work. Monday comes, now we have the original two plus a new guy. The lead outlines the project to the newby and goes off to another job or two. He basically was onsite afterwards to place the mud bed and make the "curb sandwich."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase