Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Gbrooks

Question Shower remodel best practices

Hi. I'm a homeowner and new to the forum. I've been searching the net for some advice on shower installs. There is a lot of conflicting advice and I was hoping to get some advice from people who have experience.

First, pre-slope vs no pre-slope. I noticed Kerdi videos do not do a pre-slope. I am leaning towards using Kerdi on the walls, floor and curb. With a pre-slope, liner then mud pan, will the water run down the liner or just wick out in the path of least resistance? That's a lot of water and indicative of a bigger issue, right?

The second question I have is the drain. Kerdi muds the drain in with thinset. Is this a solid install? Oatey makes a 3 part drain that screws the drain to the floor prior to installing the mud pan. This seems better to me. I know Kerdi makes an adapter , but that seems like a bit extra work.

The third thing I have noticed is some installs have the pan the same height along each wall, i.e. find the longest leg, mark the wall for a 1/4' per foot slope, and carry the height around the entire shower. Quickpitch makes a product that has forms for the pre-slope and pan. When this method is used, the shorter legs will be lower on the wall than the previous method. There will be a slop along the wall. Will this be noticeable? Will the tile cuts be obvious? Or will it not be noticeable because its a small slope?

Hope I made sense.
Unread 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Glenn, welcome. The kerdi system doesn't have a preslope because it doesn't need one. With the Kerdisystem, you stick the tiles directly to the Kerdi membrane. With a traditional system that has a PVC pan liner, you can't stick tiles directly to the liner so you need a mud bed over the liner to bond the tiles to. You''ll get differing opinions on which one is best. The Kerdi system will cost more but is easier for some folks. The last time I priced a Kerdi drain, it was about a hundred bucks. An Oatey drain is less than 20 bucks.

The reason you explained is why very few pros use the quick pitch. It might save a little time on mudding the floor but we like the perimeter of the shower to be level at the floor. Cutting the wall tiles to fit the out of level floor will add more time than quick pitch will save.

Not only that but many feel that the plastic dividers gives the floor a place to move and crack. Not so much on a concrete slab but rather when tiling over plywood.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Kman

When installing a Kerdi drain over a mud floor, the mud supports the drain from below. Done properly, it's actually pretty solid.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Gbrooks

I appreciate the quick responses.
Thank you both.
This helps a great deal.
Unread 02-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you picture the outer rim of the Kerdi drain, you'll notice that it has some holes in it. When you install it, some mortar will fill those in. Then, whey you attach the Kerdi over it, the thinset used will bond with the mortar that is in the holes and to the rest of the flange with the special coating on it, and lock the drain in place. As long as the drain is properly supported, that sandwich locks it all in place. I just saw one place selling the drain for about $35...probably not an authorized dealer.
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Gbrooks

Thanks jadnashua. I will be searching online for prices. I was a bit concerned about how well the thinset would hold. After reading the responses here, not any more. Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot.
Unread 02-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
Yetti O

Glenn,

If you are new to this it's probably easier to not perform the traditional shower pan waterproofing with a preslope and mortar pan. You might want to do another method. Also look at Wedi if you have it in your area. I personally try to stay away from these all inclusive synthetic tiling systems, but I would pick Wedi over any of the others.

Good luck and make sure you seek as much advice as you can along the way.

Yetti O

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase