Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
Sparco41

Shower Install Advice

I just had a shower redone in porcelain tile with a Wedi shower pan and Wedi backing on all sides. Everything looks great, but about one-quarter of the small (1.5" by 1.5") tiles on the shower floor sounds more hollow than other parts of the shower floor. The installer jumped up and down on it and says it is fine. He said the thinset is probably a little bit thinner in that quadrant, but the floor is solid and showing no movement. He says redoing that part of the floor would require ripping out the shower tile to a height of one foot, not just replacing that part of the floor. He says we have a 20-year warranty and they will fix things if there is a problem in the future. Should I take his word for it and pay off the balance for the shower, or should I be concerned and insist on redoing the floor?
Attached Images

Unread 09-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I doubt the foam is as solid sounding as a mud bed. I wouldn't consider a hollow sound a failure unless you see it flex too. If there's no movement, I'd leave it alone until it fails, which it may never do.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joe.

I'm not a Wedi guy, and I'd need to know a good bit more about how the shower floor was constructed to make a meaningful assessment, but I'd agree with Davy that at this point you should probably live with it if you can't detect any movement. Never having made a Wedi shower floor, I don't know what they should sound like when tapped upon.

I'd be a bit concerned in general about his construction just based upon the sparsity of fasteners in the wallboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
He says we have a 20-year warranty and they will fix things if there is a problem in the future.
Riiiight. Warranty from whom? Is it in writing?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #4
Sparco41

Smile

Thanks, folks! I greatly appreciate your input. I was leaning toward going with it, but appreciate your bit of reassurance. Installation was done by Statewide Remodeling and they've been around quite a while. I'll hope they're around at least another 20 years, which is probably as long as I'll be around. The small number of anchors is partly due to there only being one stud in the middle of each wall with the other studs in the corners. I believe there are additional fasteners in the corner studs underneath the caulking. The walls seem solid.
Unread 09-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
Sparco41

Finished Shower

Here is the final result. I'm happy with the appearance.
Attached Images

Unread 09-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Statewide Remodeling
That would be more meaningful if you had a geographic location in your User Profile, Joe.

If there were not enough framing members in the wall, it would be the contractor's responsibility to install, or require to be installed, additional framing. But even if there is sufficient framing, there are certainly not as many fasteners in that one stud as required by Wedi instructions.

But if you're happy, we're happy. But, again, this warranty is in writing?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase