Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Coderabbit

One thing leads to another

I went to go repaint my old wood fireplace and then the wifey said we might as well replace this ugly tile at the same time. I then rip up the tile and by the window the plywood is wet and rotted (floor joists are fine). I started taking out the plywood and found they must have seen the same thing when they redid the carpet as the plywood is new. However I have no idea how to get all of the plywood removed from underneath the window. I bought new plywood but looking for suggestions how to continue
Attached Images

Unread 09-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Cody.

That appears to me to be a sliding glass door, rather than a window. Is the third photo upside down? We're looking up at the door threshold from below?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Coderabbit

How do you rotate pictures on this site? All of the photos rotated after uploading. All of them are rotated the same way so the last one is looking up from the floor joists

There are sliding doors on either side of the window, but where I need to fix is a window.
Attached Images

Last edited by Coderabbit; 09-07-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Coderabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I had to look at it a few times too, Cody, then figured out the "window" is the same height as the sliding doors.

I suspect you're not getting that wet plywood out from under it without removing the window. I'll go further; since it appears that the sliding doors are installed the same as the windows (a single large unit?) and since the deck outside appears to span in front of the doors, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the plywood is wet under the doors too. I don't see evidence of any peel and stick membrane from the inside photos which makes be wonder if there's anything at all protecting the end of the plywood.

Is there an over hang or roof outside that might prevent water from splashing and hitting the doors and windows at the bottom?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

And it appears the surface of the outside deck is at or above the level of the inside subflooring, you started out with a less than optimal situation. A geographic location in your User Profile would help to determine just how much less, eh?

I agree with Dan about removing the window. If that is a continuous door/window unit, they can sometimes be disassembled and you might get enough flex in the threshold to get some of the plywood out near the center section, but I'd want to do the entire length while I was doing. A photo of the exterior of the house might be informative here, too.

That's the kind of thing that makes small remodeling jobs fun, non?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 09-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
Coderabbit

The deck is above the surface and I live in Utah. Not much rain but lots of snow. I can see that they already fixed it where the carpet is with new plywood. They also “glued” a floating 2x4 with great stuff foam. Never seen that before and im guessing that isn’t to code.
Attached Images

Unread 09-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
Coderabbit

Another photo
Attached Images

Unread 09-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
PhilWA

Wow, that's an impressive 20ft x 60ft window frame! That looks like it might be difficult to remove and swap in new plywood.

I'd want to try and stop the water buildup to prevent this damage happening to whatever new piece of plywood you end up putting down. Do you think the water is coming from outside, or is it from condensation during the winter? Is the stove having water condense on it somehow when not in use (does stove have OAK)? I'd guess that you wouldn't have water condensation on the windows near that stove when it's fired up?
Unread 09-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
Coderabbit

My best guess at this point is that the window caulking is insufficient. You can see someone siliconed a lot of other places before but not where I suspect this leak. The silicone has turned an ugly yellow. We had a crazy rainstorm two weeks ago and must have still been wet from that. My idea atm is to caulk the outside as best I can and butt up the new plywood and put in a few braces in so that the plywood isnt floating on just a great stuff covered 2x4s. I’m too nervous to try and take apart the window without breaking it. I doubt I could get it replaced.
Unread 09-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
A geographic location in your User Profile would help to determine just how much less, eh?
I put the emphasis in my original post because if you don't put it there the information will be lost before we leave this page.

I can certainly see that you have a window removal problem there. Tough situation.

Is that entire unit, or group of units, still well supported, even with the wood you've currently removed?

I ask, because I would be considering the possibility of not trying to remove any more subflooring, but rather adding between-joist blocking and simply running new plywood up to the inside of the window/door units and as far under the edge as circumstances permit.

Is that a reasonable option at all?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase