Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
eric123

White Carrera Marble yellow after installation

Hello,

I had white carrera marble installed in my bathroom about 10 days ago. It appears very yellow- much more than I anticipated. I attached a few photos and I was wondering is this just natural coloring of the stone or is there a problem? It has not gotten wet yet and has not been sealed yet. Can anything be done? Is there any chance it will become less yellow? Should I ask my contractor to replace the yellow tile? I have alot of extra tile left from the project.

Thanks very much for any advice.
Attached Images

Unread 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Eric.

Please tell us your substrate the tile was installed over. And specifically what setting material was used.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
koihito
A person, like you.

What Tonto asked, and also, is it correct to assume that the yellow stone was more white before it was installed and changed color after?

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Eric, the feature band looks wavy too or is it just me? Chances are if some of it is yellow it might all turn yellow and that type a marble shouldn't be doing that. Something underneath that marble is causing it. White thinset used underneath? As mentioned by the others we want to know what was used underneath, I have used that marble and it didn't turn any color.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Mark:
I noticed another thread started recently with a similar problem as I had in this thread so I thought I'd update. We never did figure out what had caused the yellowing but it has been almost 3 years now since the installation. The yellow went away and last I heard (spoke to customer maybe 2 months ago) it has not returned...knock on wood.

I have installed a dozen carrara showers since that one and have not experienced the problem again.

Mark noticed you had this thread going so I just put his last post in and he never figured out any problem and it apparently went away so I probably would give it time before I would go ripping any out. Might take time to dry out. Not sure how long but worth the wait

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
eric123

Thanks very much everyone. I had seen Mark's post from awhile back which is why i posted my question to this forum. I will find out more about what was used underneath. I am not sure. I really hope I don't have to rip the tile out. . .
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
bbcamp

Do you have hard water?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
eric123

Thanks everyone. The walls were concrete with sheet rock over them. White marble glue was used to install and I don't think I have hard water. Thinset was not used. It was much whiter before it was installed. After the contractor installed the tile we noticed the tiles became more yellow. Also the grey colors on some of the tiles became darker, but I don't mind that aspect. Thank you for any further thoughts.
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
prostuff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123
The walls were concrete with sheet rock over them.
So a concrete block wall or cement poured wall with sheetrock on it?

Quote:
White marble glue was used to install and I don't think I have hard water.
You can buy a DIY water test kit from home depot to test the water. This "marble glue" that you speak of, got a brand name for it by chance? The fact that you say it was a glue and not a thinset makes me think it was a mastic which is NOT a good thing to use in a shower area.

Quote:
Thinset was not used.
Not a good sign here. A white thinset should have been used to put the marble up.

Quote:
It was much whiter before it was installed. After the contractor installed the tile we noticed the tiles became more yellow. Also the grey colors on some of the tiles became darker, but I don't mind that aspect. Thank you for any further thoughts.
If i had to guess I would say that the mastic is making the tile turn the yellow color.

The only other comments I have are:
1. Sheetrock has NO place in shower construction unless used in conjunction with Kerdi or the like as a waterproofing membrane.
2. How were the shower walls waterproofed?
3. It sounds like this shower is not going to last very long and the whole thing needs to be redone.
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
eric123

OK- i will find out about the glue. I am quite sure however that the shower is waterproofed. I have no doubt about that- it's just that I am not a construction professional so that's why I don't know all (or any) of the terminology. My walls are concrete block walls.
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Eric,

About your staining:
While there is at least one product exception, the directions to mastic specifically warn about NOT using it to set marble because it may stain the stone. While I'd say you need to specifically find out which mastic was used, the next paragraph will probably trump the answer. Read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123
...I am quite sure however that the shower is waterproofed...
Let's try to clear something up a bit on waterproofing. Waterproofing drywall for a shower requires using Schluter's Kerdi sheet membrane only. No other sheet membrane, and none of the liquid applied membranes are approved for drywall in a wet area. So, if this shower was waterproofed properly, only Kerdi was used. And at the very least, Kerdi requires thinset (not mastic) for adhering it to the walls. So...even if this was waterproofed with Kerdi and even if the proper unmodified thinset was used to install it, it's still a big no-no to use mastic over Kerdi to set the tiles (this is yet another problem independent of the staining problem mastic has with marble). One way or the other, it initially sounds like a big mistake was made.

Please do come back with more details and we'll help you figure out your possibilities.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A common misconception is that the tile make the shower waterproof...this is NOT true. A properly constructed shower is waterproof before you install the tile. The tile is a decorative, wear layer. Drywall has no place in a shower construction with one exception... the only approved procedure is to use Kerdi from www.schluter.com. Note, in some places this may not be approved, but it is in most based on the manufacturer's independent testing a certifications.

Mastic, especially with a natural stone like marble, is generally not a good idea, either.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase