Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
hiddenhype

@CX Is there a way to see my edited history? Or is that not available?
Edit: Nevermind, I've found it and have reinstated it back into post #11

Also does anyone have a reference to any reputable tilers in the Greater Boston area who install Schluter-Kerdi Shower System or Oatey Shower Pan Liners correctly? I tried reaching out to Sal from Elite Tile Co. (I think he used to frequent these forums) but I haven't been able to connect yet.
Unread 07-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jonathan, post a separate thread in the Professionals' Hangout with the request for a Schluter pro and your geographic location in the title.

Put a link to this thread in the body for any discussion. I can help with that part after you start the thread if you have problems.

I really don't know who we might have in that area. And keep in mind that you'll still need to do your own due diligence. For nearly all the pros on this site we know nothing at all them except what they post here. We've not seen their work, don't know their business practices, etc. We do like to think their participation here indicates a higher degree of responsibility, but what we like to think could also be wrong, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
hiddenhype

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Jonathan, post a separate thread in the Professionals' Hangout with the request for a Schluter pro and your geographic location in the title.

Put a link to this thread in the body for any discussion. I can help with that part after you start the thread if you have problems.
Done! Hopefully I'll get some traction there
Unread 08-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #19
hiddenhype

Shower Window Waterproofing

Update: I was able to find a new tiler who would be using the schluter-kerdi system to waterproof and then tile our shower.

One of the things he mentioned asking our GC was regarding the waterproofing of our window. The first image is the window frame at insulation level and the second image is the CBU and red gard done by our previous tiler that we no longer will work with. The new tiler will remove the CBU and replace it with kerdi board.

The question I have is how do we go about waterproofing and framing the window in the shower? I've tried to look at a lot of shower windows, but our window doesn't have much depth to it and the surrounding is a wooden frame. The bottom of the frame seems to be flush with the window and the sides and top have less than 1/4" of wood protruding past the CBU. I'm not sure if the kerdi board will make sides and top flush or not after the CBU is replaced with it.

For reference: We will be using schluter edges since our tile doesn't have a bullnose variation.
Attached Images

Last edited by hiddenhype; 08-18-2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Including frame flush explanation
hiddenhype is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
hiddenhype

Including more reference images.

The framing and sill look to be just a little over 1/2". I couldn't seem to find any examples of how this window was waterproofed and aesthetically built.

The framing and sill are very shallow. I don't believe I have the option of tearing it out given our GC had plans to somehow do this with their tiler (which I don't really trust would have been waterproofed correctly given my previous posts).
Attached Images

Unread 08-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

I suspect you're not getting any response, Jonathan, because nobody wants to tell you the hard truth about the matter.

If you've now hired a new and more competent (we hope) contractor, why is he not presenting options on how to deal with the window?

Is that a vinyl "replacement" type window?

Unread 08-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #22
hiddenhype

Thank you for telling me the hard truth cx

We still have our previous general contractor to finish the job and it seems that the tiler wants to have the GC handle finishing the window. And the GC wants it vice-versa. Our tiler has given us an option I think >

Our tiler said:
The only thing you can do is have them come in after we tile and add trim around the window. There is no bullnose so I cannot tile the window. There is a picture below of what it will look like after they put their trim on.
And yes the plan is to waterproof to the wood.

Our current tile does not have a bullnose so I suggested using a bullnose of a different tile. Would this be an option? I'm just not sure what would happen inside of the wood as well as the sill and trim. The tiler said that we could ask the GC to finish the window trim with a picture frame like the attached photo, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to do given the shallow nature of the jamb

Quote:
Is that a vinyl "replacement" type window?
Yes, I believe it is.
Attached Images

Unread 08-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm not at all concerned with the aesthetics of the job at this point, Jonathan, I'm concerned with the waterproofing. There are probably half a dozen ways or more to deal with the aesthetics.

Your problem is the waterproofing of the wood frame that's around the vinyl window. I see your photos, but without being there it's difficult for me to determine what can be removed and what the relationship is between the plane of the actual vinyl window frame and the shower wall. If the wood frame can be cut away and those two areas made flush, it's possible you could waterproof past the wood frame and onto the window.

That is absolutely not an ideal solution as it still leaves you with a waterproofing membrane (absolutely must be a sheet membrane) over the wood frame, with which no product manufacturer would be happy.

Best, of course, would be to remove the window and frame and do overs, but I suspect that is not in the plan.

The agreements and disagreements between your GC and his tile subcontractor are no concern of yours. You should require the GC (the person to whom you write checks) to come up with a viable solution to the problem and complete the contract. I'm assuming there is a contract of some sort in place?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase