Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #31
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Does your curb have a pitch towards the drain? I usually make mine with about 3/16 pitch.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Wetrooms are sensitive. If improper done or you miss anyting at all, that shower will fail in no time. In other words, you gota know what you are doing.
Don't think Dan's building a wet room, George, but that sounds like the same advice we'd give our visitors about building any shower, eh?

What Davy said is the first question I had about that curb, too, Dan. Literature says nothing about it being properly sloped on top, just like the Schluter curbs are not properly sloped. You'll need to provide the slope.

When you start mixing manufacturers on those waterproofing materials or systems, you're just on your own. I've never heard of the brand of curb you're using, but your logic seems sound; if both are made to accept thinset mortar, they should be compatible. Operative word, should. Whether that will provide a waterproof bond between the two materials is still an unknown.

Covering the entire curb with Kerdi would solve that dilemma, especially if do something to the top to provide the required slope, but that means you could have saved fifty bucks by just building the curb of some common materials with a proper slope. But we don't wanna go there, do we?
My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #33
DanLN

Thank you all. I did slope the shower curb by using more thinset underneath one side. I’m going to go ahead and use Kerdi-band on the seam between the other foam curb and the Kerdi tray and then conduct a flood test. If I’m understanding correctly, that should prove it’s water tightness. Let me know if I’m missing anything. Thanks!
Unread 07-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #34
DanLN

I just double checked my shower curb and it looks like the slope ended up being less steep than I anticipated (It only has about 1/16 inch towards the drain). I’m planning on fixing this with CX’s solution of adding Kerdi over the curb and adding pitch with the thinset used to secure the membrane to the curb. What is the best way to accomplish this? I’m worried that as I embed the Kerdi membrane into the curb, I will lose the slope that I intended to be there. Any suggestions/ideas?
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #35
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, you need to provide the slope before you install the Kerdi. You can add slope on top of your curb using some sort of cementitious patching compound if you want. Some folks would do that with some thinset mortar, which is not technically correct and the mortar you have may be too sticky and a pita to try to do that with. You've gotta let it cure before applying the Kerdi.

Or you could remove the curb and re-set with proper slope. That makes the front and back out of plumb, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 07-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #36
DanLN

Thank you all for the advice . I’ve added the slope and Kerdi’d the curb and now I’m ready to tile. I’ve run into an issue though with getting tiny chips on the edges of my cut tiles. I’ve included a photo of what my edges looks like. Is this normal? I’m using a high-quality blade and saw so I don’t think that’s the issue. Any input would be appreciated! The tile is a glossy porcelain
Attached Images

Unread 07-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #37
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I’m using a high-quality blade and saw
You'll need to be more specific, Dan.

Unread 07-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #38
DanLN

I’m sorry, let me clarify. I’m using a Rigid sliding wet tile saw. Not the highest end saw, but expensive enough that I should be able to get a solid cut. The blade is a Rigid Diamond Mesh blade (about $50 from Home Depot. I’ve also tried a cheaper QEP blade) The first photo is the edge cut by my wet saw. I’ve circled the small chips and imperfections that resulted. The second photo is the factory edge. Much cleaner. The third photo is my cut edge after a quick hit with a grinding stone. My question is whether or not the small chips on mine are normal or if there’s something I’m doing wrong?
Attached Images

Unread 07-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #39
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Have you checked/adjusted the alignment of the saw, Dan?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase