Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
NewToDIYTile

6.5MM PEI 5:strong enough for floor tile?

I am looking at doing this tile for the floor of the enclosed patio which has a concrete slab pour as the base. It is 24x48 so very large format, 6.5mm and PEI rating of 5.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcel...100711621.html

A tile worker I was chatting with was worried that perhaps this tile would not be strong enough to hold up to foot traffic and that I should go with something thicker.

If I were installing over a subfloor that wasn't rock solid I could certainly understand concerns about the very large format of the tile and deflection.

However, this is over poured concrete patio pad on the ground. The pad has sat for 2 years with no surface cracking.

What are your thoughts on this?

It never even occurred to me to consider tile strength for installing over poured concrete.

Thank you,
Josh - Vegas area

EDIT:

Perhaps I need to use an uncoupling membrane to be safe here? I was not planning on that and on just doing the tile directly over the concrete.

DITRA or similar to handle uncoupling just to be safe?

Last edited by NewToDIYTile; 07-15-2021 at 03:37 PM. Reason: update
NewToDIYTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The PEI system is no longer in use and if I remember correctly, has to do with the glaze hardness. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Years ago I installed PEI 5 tiles in my kitchen, dining and entryway and after 15 years or so I can't see any scratches or chips anywhere. My grandkids have tested it quite well with every know toy on the market.

If you get good thinset coverage under those tiles, you could drive your car on it if you can get it thru the door. One of the hardest things on a tile floor is a healthy woman in high heels. But, with good thinset coverage, your floor would even hold up to that.

I don't see the need for Ditra. Thinset bonds to clean concrete very well. If you're afraid of cracks then use an Anti-fracture membrane. Prep work is key, get the slab clean.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Im with you…!
Unread 07-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Does your slab have slope away from the house? That's important.

The larger the tile, the harder it is to ensure you get full coverage, which is important on floor tile, especially when they can get wet. FOr installation, you want someone who has experience with tile that size. And, I'd recommend a slant-notched trowel.

As was mentioned, prep is key, and the larger the tile is, the flatter the surface needs to be. A slab is rarely flat enough to handle a large format tile like that without careful prep. Industry specs are pretty tight when any tile edge exceeds 15".
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
Metropolitan Ceramics

The quick answer is yes, you can install this on your floor and it will hold up as long as you don't have big voids in the mortar below it. I wouldn't recommend the Ditra for this installation since it will add a somewhat flexible layer under a somewhat flexible tile.

The longer answer is more complicated. Floor and Decor is advertising this as a 'thin tile' which suggests it has been cut from a larger slab of gauged porcelain tile. If that's the case then you should not have any problems installing it because it should be very flat. However, if this is a traditionally-made, pressed tile, chances are good that it's not very flat and installing it in a way that it will be fully supported is going to be challenging. Before you buy it, go to the store and put two faces together. If there is a considerable bow to the tile then maybe find something similar in a 9MM thickness. If it's flat, you should be good to go.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase