Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #91
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nick, all those will work but option 4 is best. Ask your wife.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #92
xkse

Haha i think I was aware of that in the back of my mind…

This may be obvious, but how do you effectively caulk the joint underneath the curb overhang? Just angle it and do the best you can?
Unread 07-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #93
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Uh huh. In my years here I've not read of any other way.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #94
xkse

Fair enough! Switching gears...I bought a new pearl p4 blade and put it on my little 7" skil saw. Trying to cut 12x24" porcelain...getting a lot of chipping. There's chatter along the cut and then the edges chip off significantly when I get towards the end of the cut.

When the blade slows down, I can see significant up and down movement of the blade. If i put a straight edge perpendicular to the top of the blade and spin it by hand, it moves up and down by ~1/8". I'm guessing the bearings are loosened up (3rd tile job in the 5 years I've had it). Any troubleshooting tips on this?

Otherwise are there any 7" saws that are worth buying / renting that would be good for someone doing 1 tile job every year or two? Especially for this job with 12x24 porcelain?

Thank you
Unread 07-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #95
xkse

Alright so potential false alarm. I put the old blade back on and it looked normal. On the Pearl P4 blade, theres a diamond shaped insert with the shaft hole in it that is just a slip fit on to the blade. So the blade just didn't seat properly. Hopefully I can get some better cuts now.

Although on the pearl blade, i was surprised that the diamond shaped insert can just come out and potentially throw off alignment
Unread 07-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #96
xkse

I’m seeing a fair amount of chipping even after aligning the blade. I am wondering if I should buy something like the 7” diamondback from HF, knowing that realistically this will be my only tile project for the next year or two.
Unread 07-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #97
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
A better saw than that Skil wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've been using an MK370 for years. Not expensive by any means but does somehow cut dead straight and very clean.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #98
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I've been using an MK370 for years.
Hearing protection required!

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #99
xkse

Haha I guess it’s not super expensive ($400). But if I can get through this job with the diamondback ($290) it’d probably pay for itself for the amount of time I’d need it to finish the cuts (I have a 1 year old and don’t get a lot of free time). Wondering if I should pull the trigger on a better saw and test it out.

Or, could it be the tile? Tile is https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcel...100611326.html
Unread 07-20-2021, 08:57 PM   #100
MTy

FWIW I'm not a pro but have the diamond back. It doesn't do a bad job. Chips the ceramic wall tile I have a small amount, with a mid range blade. But I'm using white grout and don't think it will be noticable. Barely is without grout. My other complaint is the detachable guide is not square even when in the 45 notch, so I don't use it.

I haven't used it but the rigid from HD is about the same price. If I had it to do over again I might spend the little bit more.
Unread 07-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #101
xkse

Yeah, I ended up buying the ridgid as the Diamondback was out of stock near me. It was $304 but includes the stand. Hoping with the pearl p4 blade I can get some cleaner cuts on the porcelain
Unread 07-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #102
xkse

Advice please...i suck

I put up the first few pieces of tile so i would know where to cut out my niche to line up with the grout line. Thought i did great...until I checked down by the ledger board and the tile had not compressed properly. Down near the ledger board those two tiles are out of plumb and sticking out from the wall a considerable amount as compared to the top edge.

Do you recommend trying to remove the tiles and grinding down the mortar? Or just deal with it for the piece underneath it that will go down to the floor and try to make it up elsewhere on the wal? Being in the corner I'm not too concerned, more that I'm just anal about everything and upset with myself that I didn't ensure it was totally plumb before letting it set.
Attached Images

Unread 07-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #103
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It really depends how much a "considerable amount" is. Are we talking about 1/16 or 1/8 within 12 inches? If it's 1/16, I'd probably leave it but 1/8th would be noticeable. Removing the tiles might damage or tear off the membrane, I'm sure you've thought of that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #104
xkse

Yeah the bottom left is around 1/16 and the one above about 1/8. It may be easier to smash these 3 tiles and deal with the cleanup than the hassle of fighting the whole way.

Open to more opinions
Unread 07-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #105
xkse

I went back, and it ranges from 1/16 to 1.5/16" of "out of plumb". But the tiles are flush with each other. So now I'm second guessing ripping the tile off (and my wife may be influencing me to just get it done!!)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase