Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Kenr

Advice on waterproofing and finishing a large fountain

Hello, a few years ago we installed a fairly large fountain in our backyard. The pool is round, 10' in diameter with the sides going up about 14" . When I originally put it together I sealed the pool with a paint on liquid rubber product. After a few years it failed, the liquid rubber cracked and it started to leak. The bottom of the pool is terra cotta tile set on mortar over concrete.

Before I can reline it I need to move the statuary. The main bowl weights just about 1,000 lbs so I am going to need to bring in some equipment to move it. This time I want to seal the pool correctly so I don't have to take it apart again. Would I be able to seal this with Kerdi set over a base of mortar over the terra cotta? I would appreciation any other suggestions.

Thanks
Ken
Attached Images

Kenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
vanwassup

I have no idea, but...

That is fantastic! Where did you buy it? I am interested in putting a smaller version outside at my house? Do you winterize it, or are you in a warm climate? Sorry for all the questions OT
Unread 01-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Kenr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwassup
That is fantastic! Where did you buy it? I am interested in putting a smaller version outside at my house? Do you winterize it, or are you in a warm climate? Sorry for all the questions OT
It's made by Al's Garden Art http://www.alsgardenart.com/ . Do a product search under Catagory - fountain, Keyword - lion. They have a smaller version of it.

I live in California so there is no need to winterize it.

Last edited by Kenr; 01-15-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Unread 01-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

Most of the outdoor fountains, commercial jobs out here, are waterproofed using a similar product that you used before, a paintable, brushable, or trowable latex compound painted over the area. The better ones have a fiberglass matting that is mooshed into the liquid rubber before it cures, and a second or even third coat is put on over the mat. Called Laticrete 9235, that is what I would probably spec out, if I was an architect for your job. This would be my first choice.

That being said, I am aware of your prior bad experience with that type of product, and my second choice would be a sheet membrane llike Nobelseal TS or one of the PVC products out there.

There are a whole host of instalation problems with sheet membranes, as they do not easily conform to roundness. In addition, they all have to be very carefully seamed. This is not a shower where the water skirts by and if there is a pinhole it is not a super big issue. In your situation, the area is full of standing water, with static pressure, so yes, a pinhole will be a disaster.

I think I would still recomemnd Laticrete 9235 for this, but I would certainly want to call their Tech Service Dept and get some opinions and some installation advice. At least here in LA, they have a great customer rep guy that used to be a tile contractor, until he got smart enough to get out of the business, and if he's not too busy, you can often get him out to a job site.

If I had to install it tomorrow without any further information, I'd use Laticrete 9235 and install latex, matting and 2 more coats of latex, overlapping the matting by 2 inches either side of any seam.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
what about vulcom I have seen it in differnt colors paint on membrane they use it for fountains and pools in florida
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
Kenr

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiethetileman
what about vulcom I have seen it in differnt colors paint on membrane they use it for fountains and pools in florida
What is Vulcom?
thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase