Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
sgfl81

HardieBacker to Drywall Transition

Just finished installing HardieBacker and I'm not sure the best method to transition to the Drywall. Since the HardieBacker is thinner, the drywall is raised. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would take the Hardi down and rip long 1/8-3/16 shims to nail to the stud. I would also add screws on the sheetrock/paint side to make sure it's tight against the studs. While you're doing that you can check the other studs to make sure the wall is flat and hopefully plumb. I believe the big box stores have drywall shims that can be used for this. I don't know the thickness of the shims.

Although it's not made for this application, I've used thinset to fill low areas in walls and floors. They do make fillers made just for this.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Steve,

Typical DW is 1/2" and "1/2" Hardie is .042, or about 7/16". From here the difference in yours looks to be quite a bit more than 1/16", but maybe the DW isn't fastened to the stud as Davy suggests.

Shims behind the Hardie would work, but if you shim only that one stud the rest of the Hardie might end up not flat; so you might have to shim all the studs that the Hardie is attached to. That, however, really depends on how flat the Hardie is right now.

If your local big box doesn't have DW shims you can order them online. The box I order had 100 shim's, each 1/16" thick, 1.5" wide, and - I think, 45" long.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

From the depressed fastener indicator on the Hardibacker, it looks like Steve may have accidentally used 1/4" Hardibacker. Can you measure the thickness of a scrap piece, Steve?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
ave8er

That looks like the 1/4 Hardi
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
From the depressed fastener indicator on the Hardibacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
That looks like the 1/4 Hardi
The faces are different? I'd have never guessed.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
smifwal

Is it just one wall that you have to do this to? If you are going to take the time to take down the Hardie why not just buy some durock and put that up instead of all the shimming? And you will be able to assess the studs and make sure everything is plane. You want everything flat prior to putting up you backer board so you are not fixing things on the fly. If you do it with thinset you may have to screed the whole wall otherwise you will have a dip in the middle of the wall.
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
The faces are different? I'd have never guessed.
Yeah, unless things have changed from the last time I used it....only the 1/4" has the embossed grid, along with the fastener dots. The 1/2" stuff is flat with printed "X"s on it.

Steve, the 1/4" is actually rated by James Hardie to be used for wall tile if your studs are spaced no further than 16" on center...but most pros are too nervous to use it because it's too bendy/flexible. If there's too much flex from someone leaning on the wall, you could possibly crack the tile.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase