Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 12-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
tstex

buffing marble

Hello to all,

Is this the forum to discuss how to buff-out an off-white marble? I believe the sealer is gone and now the luster/shine is gone. From an angle, you can see what looks like "hard-water-stains".

My goal is to buff out the water-marks, then use a sealer that will protect the surface from further spotting.

thank you very much,
tstex
Unread 12-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tom,

When you say "buff" do you mean with a very soft pad by hand, or do you mean a machine. If machine I wouldn't. I think I would use a stripper that contains no acid and then reseal. I really not a stone guy, but I know that marble is delicate.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If it was cleaned with an acidic cleaner then the dull areas are etched. You would need to polish it out with a floor machine. Unless you have experience with doing that, I'd talk to a restoration company.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

Quote:
My goal is to buff out the water-marks

Not really going to work. Requires 'drawing' the mark or stain out - various methods both traditional and modern product based you can look up or buy.

To then make it more reflective again and if not getting a professional to do the job then a 're-crystalizing' product will do an improvement job. [Clean it all then test a section first!!]
All depends on value of the floor to you / owner and if it is meant to be a full scale refinish or a maintenance tidy up.

Simplest of all to start is a marble product cleaner followed by a daily-use type marble maintenance wash-on product is my advice and see how it looks then. Not too much expenditure on those items and no damage to stone likely.

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase