Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
Redgard does use a roller and they now have a maximum thickness and provide sq ft coverage since the minimum thickness requirement was so troublesome. But always appreciate alternative views on things.
The minimum thickness requirement was never troublesome to describe, Eric, the troublesome part was actually achieving the thickness requirement. Custom apparently thinks that by describing the minimum thickness in terms of overall coverage, people will magically be able to better apply the product in the desired thickness. Same product, same application problem, different measurement method?

If you elect to use the RedGard, 'specially if you elect to use it as your shower receptor waterproofing, I very strongly recommend you get a simple thickness gauge to use while applying the product so you can get a feel for the desired wet coat thickness requirement. I think it will be eye-opening for you.

I don't see a bonding flange drain on your list of Schluter products.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #32
Theproj

Thanks for the info Cx!

Adding rough shower floor/drain dimensions and location.
Attached Images

Unread 01-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #33
Theproj

I believe I have made my decision on waterproofing using Ardex 8 + 9.

Durock walls, mesh tape (alkaline resistant) seams, and drywall ceiling.

Hopefully having the one rotted floating load-bearing stud replaced and another stud will have a sister stud placed next to it today or tomorrow and I believe it was 6" of bottom plate replaced. The piece of bottom plate will be replaced with pressure treated wood and tapcon to the slab. Studs regular lumber. From this experience I think I might paint the bottom plates and bottom couple inches of the studs with Zinsser. Replace the 2x6 blocking between the studs. Might add some additional blocking higher up for future. Ensure all studs are level and shim where necessary.

Going to use an Oatey drain unless I find or suggested to use a different one. Might chip out about 1/2"-3/4" of the concrete around the drain probably 6"-12" circumference. And chip out like a 1/4" more around that one also. Sorta like a rough preslope.

I would like to keep the bed as low as possible without having to recess the whole slab in order to get curbless shower (which we really did want). Furthest corner is 32" which would be a 3/4" slope to the drain using Mapei 4:1 bed mortar.

Without the potential chipping of the concrete, this would mean I would need to create a 2 1/4" bed with a 3/4" slope to the drain which would be 1 1/2" thick. And, well, ummm, sooo, divot, cough ..... Use a 6" pan/coffee can, mark 1 1/2" line around it, and screw into the drain. Next day bed should be ready (mapei I believe is 16hrs). and remove divot.

Curb I will be using 7 2.25 x 3.625 x 7.625 concrete blocks (thinset underneath to the slab) would be 53.7" plus 1/2" durock walls on each side would be 54.7".

Ardex walls, bed, divot, and curb in north/south direction. Wait. Ardex walls, bed, divot, and curb again east/west. Wait. Insert drain to estimated height of tile + thinset. Fill divot with dry mud (maybe theres a compatible quick setting one) to meet bottom of drain ring lip. Wait the 16hrs. "Ready to tile"

And yes, I am aware CX is warming up his keyboard and fingers. But I'm ready to "float like bee, sting like a butterfly. Get hit with my hand covered eyes so I cant see it" Eric Ali-ttleLoco. I'm just serious CX. Nothing but love and respect.

Anyone's opinion/advice/assistanxe/time that has higher worth than free can PM me for consideration (USD please). No, seriously. But only from those that are "pros" as I will review your profile, threads, post, seniority, etc.
Unread 01-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
Ensure all studs are level and shim where necessary.
If you make your studs level, Eric, they'll be part of the floor. Or perhaps the ceiling.

What you want is for your studs to be plumb and in-plane one with another across the wall. Whatever sistering, shimming, replacing, planing or otherwise altering them to accomplish that is time well spent come time to tile.

I can't find written installation instructions for that Ardex 8+9 online and can't help much with that as I've not used the product. What happened to your big score on Schluter Kerdi products.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase