Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 12-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

2020 is NOT a new "Decade."

I addressed this back in 2000, but so many folks didn't "get it." They thought that Jan 1 of 2020 was a new millennium. Sorry, it wasn't. It was Jan 1 of 2001.

There was no "year zero," It all starts with 1 and ends with the last day of "10." 1 is the beginning and 10 is the end. I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
wwhitney

Two comments:

1) The absence of year 0 is traditional in current calendars, but is illogical. If you start counting up at, say, -5, you don't skip 0. So rather than letting this oversight screw up the decade intervals forever, I prefer to say that the first decade is short and runs from years 1 to 9.

2) In ISO 8601, there is a year 0. So it is certainly the start of an ISO 8601 decade. :-)

Cheers,
Wayne
Unread 12-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Just In Tile LLC

My wife said we're in the roaring 20's again and that its the beginning of a new decade so....I'm inclined to disagree with you Laz. SHE makes the rules
Unread 12-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Still...you start counting at "1" not "0"

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Unread 12-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

She said a decade is 0-9 Laz.... She makes the rules
Unread 12-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Lotsa times, things are what most people say they are. Doesn’t always follow math or whatever. But most of da peeps says it’s a new decade, so why fight it?

Laz, just think of the slake time. Yeah...with the slake time, you might be able to justify to yourself that it is the start a new decade and you can feel good about joinin’ the party.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Kman

Laz will still party, just a year later, and on his own.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Last month was the start of a new decade, too. Ten years from then will be the end of a ten year period, the very description of a decade where I grew up. What's the big deal about tomorrow?

Y'all weird!

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Remember Eddie Murphy in “Trading Places”?

Name:  DFB530FF-0994-46F6-91DC-68D8C6E0BFF6.png
Views: 131
Size:  559.5 KB

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #10
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
I remember when my kids had their first birthday parties. They turned 1 after they had been home for 12 months, not in the hospital the day they were born.

Happy New Year everyone!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Annnnd Dave's in for the score.

Speaking of scores, don't all teams start with 0 points?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #12
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Good point, Dave.

Unread 01-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

But, Dave, the actual birth day was when the kid was still there in the hospital, having just been born moments prior. The "certificate" of birth shows that date and time, non? What you celebrated one year later was not the birthday, it was the first anniversary of the birth day. A full decade would have passed when you celebrated the tenth anniversary of that actual birth date.

Not at all sure just what the point is there, but far be it from me to allow a good, meaningless, argument go unchallenged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 02:37 AM   #14
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The US Naval Observatory, the agency that maintains the country’s master clock, tackled this question in 1999 as people debated when the new millennium would begin.

According to the astronomical dating system through which it measures time, the observatory stated that the new millennium would begin on January 1, 2001.

The Farmers’ Almanac, America’s centuries-old go-to for weather predictions, astronomical data and more, takes a similar position.

“As you think about New Year’s resolutions, here’s one we should all make together: resolve to insist that decades begin with the year ending in the numeral 1 and finish with a 0,” an article on its website reads.

The Farmers’ Almanac insists on this because of how years are numbered in the Gregorian calendar, the system in official use throughout most of the world. The anno domini era, or the common era, begins with year 1 on the Gregorian calendar.

In 525, a monk known as Dionysius Exiguus set out to determine the date of Easter and created a system of labeling years based on the date he thought Jesus Christ was born (a date that’s considered historically inaccurate today). But he didn’t account for the years before the birth of Jesus.

That was done in 731 by a monk known as the Venerable Bede. Bede counted the years before Christ and established the BC era, but he didn’t include a year zero in his calculations. Which means that the year before 1 AD was 1 BC.

Because there’s no year 0 in the calendar, the first year was complete at the end of year 1, not at its beginning.

By that same logic, the first decade in the calendar was complete at the end of 10 CE, or 10 AD.

Which means, according to the Farmers’ Almanac, that the end of this decade is December 31, 2020, not December 31, 2019.

Unread 01-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
Just In Tile LLC

Laz, I'm not about to win the battle and lose the war in my house. "Mamma said" it starts with 0, it start with 0 in this house

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase