Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
jimbo770

Questions for a bathroom remodel

I am in the middle of a master bathroom remodel and had a few questions.

1. Re Kerdi board. I have used kerdi in the past and had great luck but was considering Kerdi board for this project. The plumbing wall in the shower has axor stark components up the center of the wall leaving me with 24" oc for that part of the wall. The schluter site says 1/2" kerdi board is good to 16" oc and the 3/4" is ok to 24"oc. I could add some blocking to the 24" oc area and go with 1/2" board o r leave it as is and use 3'4 board. Which would you suggest?

2. I have read a bunch of negative reviews on Kerdi board and deflection etc, but they all seem to be form 7-9 years ago. Has anyone had any issues with Kerdi board of late?

3. The bathroom will have a drop in tub next to the shower. We are still going back and forth on tile vs solid surface for the deck. My concern with the solid surface (which is our preferred option) is slope for the shower. There will be a glass panel separating the shower and tub. Only about an inch or two going into the shower, but if the tub is mounted on the same slab, how do I keep the tub level and have any slope for the small lip that is in the shower?

4. Construction of the tub deck. I am planning to use conventional framing for the tub deck. I had considered Kerdi board, but dont feel comfortable. What do you suggest for the top? Plywood with ditra? Plywood with cement board with kerdi? Plywood with noble seal? Or could I use plywood with kerdi board?

5. I have never used ditra but have used noble seal with good results. The bath floor will have LV heat and the Ditra heat system looks intriguing for ease of install. I need to use a self leveler. Any thoughts on which would be better?

6. If I wind up using noble seal on the tub deck or floor, could I use Kerdi band to bond Kerdi with noble seal?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim
jimbo770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

1. I would do some cross blocking. On every seam and probably one in between.

2. Kerdi board is the exact same product that it was 9 years ago

3. You can have the slab company cut a seam that would be hidden under the glass panel. Also, that section could be ground down to have a slight slope.

4. I frame it and use 3/4 ply. From there, you can install Kerdi board, cement board, or whatever. You'll want the area that extends into the shower to be waterproofed so Kerdi board would probably be the way to go on that end.

5. I use a Ditra-Heat competitor quite a bit and it works well. So, Ditra-Heat would be a good way to go, in my opinion.

6. I wouldn't mix products. If you want to use Noble for everything then I would do that. I like their ValueSeal product which is a competitor to Kerdi. Otherwise, why not just use Kerdi on the whole thing?
Unread 01-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
jimbo770

Question regarding tub deck and tile

Wanted to get some thoughts on the sequence of installation. I am installing a drop in tub in our master bathroom. There will be tile on the walls surrounding the tub and solid surface quartz on the top of the tub deck. Would you recommend tiling the walls surrounding the tub before or after the quartz is set on the tub deck? Thanks.
Unread 01-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
rmckee84

As an installer I would rather have the slab set then set the tile off of that.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Jim.

You can, of course, do it either way but if it were my job I'd install the wall tile after the quartz is installed.

Having the wall tile "land" on top of the quartz will hide any gap between the wall and the quartz that could result from the wall not being as flat as the quartz is straight.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
jimbo770

That’s what I was thinking. Thank you for the confirmation. Jim
Unread 01-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Also - that space between the wall tile and the tub deck gets caulked not grouted. The 100% silicone grout matching caulk will fill that void (not just set on top)

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
jimbo770

Wet shimming kerdi board

Thanks to everyone’s input from my previous post. I am going to try kerdi board on our shower. I have never used it before. Does anyone have a “preferred thinset” for this application? I couldn’t find a recommendation on the Schluter site.
Also any tips you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Also I am mounting a speaker in the ceiling of the shower. Do you think the kerdi will be able to support the speaker on its own, or would you recommend a metal or wood ring to support the speaker?

Last edited by jimbo770; 01-04-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Unread 01-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
jimbo770

Self leveler for tile floor

Was hoping somebody could recommend a self leveler/ primer for a bathroom tile floor. I replaced about 90% of the OSB with T&G plywood, and the remaining OSB will be under the vanity and toilet. I will be using a larger format tile so I would like to get the floor perfectly flat. The floor space is about 9’ x 5’.
Thanks for your help,
Jim
Unread 01-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, SLC is really a misnomer...it doesn't actually self level without a lot of work, and then, only easily done if it's fairly thick, which can be a problem depending on the adjacent rooms' levels.

I'm kind of partial to Ardex products, but most can work. You should choose the primer based on the brand of slc you want to ensure full compatibility.

So, how far out of level is the subflooring now, and how high can you handle, should it need to be moderately thick?

You can get a good result, but sometimes, it's a good idea to have someone install it for you. A room that size won't need all that much material, but it's always a good idea to have some help as you have very little time once you start before you must finish, or you'll end up with an expensive mess.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Not sure I understand your question. Kerdiboard is installed onto studs with their special screws and washers. Once you've got it installed, the preferred thinset is a premium dryset (A118.1), but if you decide you need or want a modified, only certain ones will work. If you choose one of the Schluter branded ones, you can be assured it will work, but there are others.

If you're installing it over say a concrete block wall to provide a flat, waterproof surface, you can use the same thinset, but installed in relatively closely spaced blobs of thinset, then embedded with a long straightedge to get it flat and plumb (a long level probably works best for this).

Schluter has a bunch of videos showing the installation over both studs and cement or block walls.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 11:34 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Jim.

I've combined your first four threads on this bathroom project here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. It'll look a bit disjointed just now, but it'll straighten itself out soon enough.

I think you're talking about wet shimming the KerdiBoard over a wood framed wall using thinset mortar. While that is recently recommended by the manufacturer, I think it's a terrible idea. If you wanna do it, any thinset mortar you're using for any other part of your bathroom tile would be as good as any other.

For your speaker installation, do I understand that you're using KerdiBoard as your ceiling board over ceiling joists? I don't find a Schluter recommendation for that application at all. Perhaps someone else knows of a specification for that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 01-04-2020 at 11:45 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2020, 12:03 AM   #13
jimbo770

Sorry about the separate posts, I will keep all of the follow up posts on this thread.

When I did this for a living many years ago, we would fur out the walls to get them plumb, level and flat, but with this shower, space is at a premium, so I was hoping to “wet shim” the kerdi board with thinset to get the walls as plumb and flat as possible. I will sand/ plane the high beams as much as possible to minimize the need for wet shimming, but there will still be a need for some, these are old beams that went haywire when I took the old dry way/ hardiboard off.
I haven’t spent a ton of time on the floor yet but it is probably off a 2/2” - 3/4” from high to low.
Thanks again everybody,
Jim
Unread 01-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #14
jimbo770

Sorry that is 1/2” to 3/4” out for the bathroom floor.

Jim
Unread 01-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
jimbo770

CX-
I saw on the Schluter site that kerdi board could be used for tile on a ceiling if the fasteners were 6” OC. Do you not recommend that?

Can I ask why you don’t like the idea of wet shimming the kerdi board with thinset? I am trying my best to not use this process, but the plumbing wall is completely jacked up. I’ve sanded down the high spots wher I could and tried to shim studs that were consistently low, but there are still studs that are both high and low depending on what part of the wall.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase