Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #31
brandonw

took a bit due to the holidays and vacation but the floor is built. Plumbing it to the walls, making sure it was level and square was a chore and I was covered in mortar. Had to elevate the kerdi tray 1" to sink in the drain
Attached Images

Thanks for helping me! If you need any computer advice/help or digital security help just ask.
brandonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #32
speed51133

how did you elevate the tray 1in????
Unread 01-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #33
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
how did you elevate the tray 1in????
I don't know how he did it, but Schluter recommends just adding in another layer of foam the required thickness, sandwiched in with thinset to bond it all together. You'd want to make sure you got some that was dense enough.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #34
brandonw

I used dense polythene which I''ll link to below. They say just use a polyethylene sheet but after I went any bought just any sheet I didn't like how pliable it was. I went back and bought the stuff below. This stuff below is very dense and rigid just like the schluter stuff. I also used it to fill in the missing piece of the schluter tray then mortared on top of it using a straight edge to keep the same pitch as the tray.

Also, I ignored the trowel guide and tossed a ton of mortar on the floor and on the 1" ploy layer then walked all around it for about 5 minutes. I had 100% coverage and it was so much easier than scraping, lifting the tray, adding more here adding more there blah blah blah. It used about 2.5g of pretty wet mortar

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...-PP1/203553730

Thanks for helping me! If you need any computer advice/help or digital security help just ask.
Unread 01-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #35
speed51133

Polystyrene. Polyethylene like a cutting board.

You should have trowelled it on as required in the instructions. That mortar is not intended to be built up thick. You also want to ensure even coverage to keep the slope proper. Did you put a level on multiple spots of the tray to ensure the slope is still ok??
Unread 01-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #36
brandonw

yes I leveled everything time and time again. I rechecked after it cured and the curb wound up about 1/16th of an inch out of plumb at 2ft up on both sides. Guess the mortar shrunk some. I can make that up when I tile but overall it's perfect. The instructions say I can keep going but it's been 48hrs and I still see dark mortar that isn't fully cured. I need to finish the floor and seams but was worried about the not fully cured areas. Can I keep going?

Unread 01-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #37
speed51133

not only will thick globs of mortar take a while to cure, but yet, they will shrink and also can crack easily. It is not meant to be built up like that.
Unread 01-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #38
brandonw

it's the mortar towards the drain and in the edges that gooped up. I'll let it cure another day or two to be safe.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase