Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #16
brandonw

Thanks! I bought their clamping ring conversion kit. I have to add mud anyway.

Thanks for helping me! If you need any computer advice/help or digital security help just ask.
brandonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
speed51133

that conversion kit assumes you have a solid 3 piece drain. You are missing quite a chunk...
Unread 12-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
brandonw

I'll rebuild the lip. I'm very good with composites. Take a peek at my custom Monterey

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...=1458732001604

Thanks for helping me! If you need any computer advice/help or digital security help just ask.
Unread 12-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #19
brandonw

Quick update. I'm not as far as I wanted to be due to staying out til 2am saturday morning and getting hammered with friends but it is coming along. I straightened the drain with a heatgun and ice cubes. Replaced the furring strips, added insulation, got the new Moen positemp valve in, the replacement toilet valve in, broke up the tile and thinset, patched bigger floor holes and have the plastic up. I'll start putting up rockboard tonight. I do have one wall to tear out still but I'd rather get the floor tile in so I can get the toilet back in use.
Attached Images

Unread 12-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
brandonw

Building a Neo Angle Kerdi Curb from scratch

So I hit a snag and I'm ready to build the shower but have nothing but the original 2x4s to go from. I'd like to buy the frameless doors from amazon since they're far cheaper than custom. Are there templates somewhere? I'm looking at the measurements and the math doesn't work on the wall lengths I'm seeing but I have the space on the curb.. Very confused. Below is what I want to install and original 2x4 measurements. Any direction or help is appreciated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

L: 23.5 (not mitered)
C: 28 outer 25.5 inner
R: 23.5 otter 21.5 inner
Attached Images

Unread 12-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #21
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Brandon, we've merged your new thread with your previous thread since they both concern the same project. Doing so helps all contributors understand where you've been, are, and going. We can rename your thread to something more generic if you like.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #22
ss3964spd

I think you're going to need to hit the manufacturer's web site to obtain the exact measurements and, if they have one, a template. But it seems clear to me that it isn't going to work with your existing curb dimensions.

Before committing to that unit you might want to read the (few) reviews. It might be far less expensive for a reason.
Unread 12-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #23
brandonw

Thanks. I didn't know whether to add to this thread or start a new one since it was a specific item. I'll call a couple manufacturers and then the local glass shop who does damn good work but at a price.

Unread 12-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #24
ss3964spd

The pre-manufactured enclosure kits are almost certainly going to preclude using a custom size shower foot print. So unless you can resize yours to fit a particular off the shelf enclosure you'll likely be stuck with a custom sized enclosure.

You could of course make things a bit more budget friendly by building left and right, floor to ceiling walls, leaving only the entry (24" min) to be a glass door. You'll incur the additional material costs (framing, drywall, backer, tile, grout) but the total of those would certainly be less than an all glass custom enclosure.
Unread 12-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #25
brandonw

I can resize it easily but the entry needs to be just right which is why I need their template. I thought about building half height walls but being such a small space I'd like to make it feel more open. I think I might have to bite the bullet on this one and go custom

Unread 12-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
ss3964spd

A "neo angle" shower is basically a square with a corner lopped off. I don't know how small those can go and still meet code. From your photo it looks like your toilet is fairly close, and you do need to maintain 15" from the center line of the toilet to any side partition, so that may constrain your size options.
Unread 12-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
...then the local glass shop who does damn good work but at a price.
That price might look soooo much better after you've dealt with the vicissitudes of one of those mail-order versions. Not saying it can't be done successfully, just saying you're much more likely to be happy with one designed and cut to the actual dimensions of your shower as built. That also gives you the option of calling back the local installers if there are problems with the new surround.

As ol' Ben would say, "The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten," or something to that effect.

I'm a guy who nearly always installs his own fixed glass in shower installations, but my local glass company always gets their large dinero for anything glass that has moving parts.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #28
brandonw

I'll call out the local guys this week but I did track down the info for a Vigo setup. I can easily build the curb the doors need. Vigo has pretty good reviews so if the local guys are double the price I'll give them a shot.

Unread 12-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #29
brandonw

It's not pretty, but it's in. I put 3 gallons of uncoupling mortar behind those two pieces and was shocked. Had to peel both pieces back about 10 times each. Ran out of mortar to do the seams but I'll get it in a few days
Attached Images

Unread 12-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #30
makethatkerdistick

Judging from the dark color of the Kerdi, you got a good bond there. I remember having had to peel back often myself when I did my two Kerdi showers. For me, it was never as simple as they made it appear in these training videos.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase