Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
brandonw

Custom Shower Looks Butchered :(

I've been lurking and reading and time is on my side with this but here goes. I'm remodeling everything in my house to my liking and have worked my way to the master bedroom bathroom. I knew it would be bad based on everything else but I'm scratching my head with what to do with this. They screwed cement board to the ledge in the shower pan and the crappy tile-work leaked through and of course leaked through the membrane that they screwed through. The wood is wet not rotten. I can repair the screw holes with "The Right Stuff". We bond PWC pump shoes to the hull with it and it never comes loose. The pan isn't exactly sloped right as water sits in the upper right corner.

The question here is... Since it's a custom size and I'm an amateur should I gut it and start fresh or repair the crap job and work with whatever pan is hiding below?

The next question would be do I go with a kerdi membrane and drain if it's a complete gut? What would you do if this was your shower?
Attached Images

Thanks for helping me! If you need any computer advice/help or digital security help just ask.
brandonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Brandon.

One of the more common mistakes we see in traditional shower receptor builds and one we warn our visitors about regularly. By "ledge" I'm presuming you mean the top of the shower dam, right?

I would recommend you completely gut the bathroom, or at least the shower area, and start fresh with a new shower.

You can do another traditional shower receptor or a direct bonded waterproofing membrane type shower. Either will serve for decades if done properly. I personally prefer the direct bonded membrane method.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
brandonw

Thanks for the reply. One more question. Can the schluter kit be trimmed to fit this shape? It has to be this shape for shower entry
Attached Images

Thanks for helping me! If you need any computer advice/help or digital security help just ask.
Unread 12-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
makethatkerdistick

Yes, the Schluter tray and or curb can be trimmed to fit. You can also add on a section with deck mud next to the tray if required.

I built a shower with a similar footprint. I used the Kerdi membrane and corners but didn't bother with the tray or curb both of which I elected to construct myself from cheaper materials. In doing so I saved money and could easily give the mud bed the exact shape I wanted. Also, nothing wrong with building another curb from wood covered with a suitable material to which the Kerdi will attach (or just bricks bonded with thinset if you're on a slab). I love the Kerdi system but personally think that a mud bed is nicer and sturdier than those foam trays. Both will work, however.
Unread 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can go back with any method you feel comfortable using but definitely start over.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Brandon!

Yeah, I agree with starting over. Here on the forum, were happy to take you through the entire process of remodeling with as little or as much help as you need. We like to help.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
brandonw

thanks everyone. I'm going to pull the curb and knock up the top layer of thinset/tile and see what's what. the bathroom will be stripped down to the 2x4s for inspection. Found a bunch of ants and some tiny palmetto bugs in the curb last night which is great

Unread 12-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #8
brandonw

welp... It's a giant slab and I would need a jackhammer to break this apart. My air chisel won't touch this.

How bad would it be to break up the tile, add to the slope, rebuild the curb, seal it and be done?
Attached Images

Unread 12-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
brandonw

Nevermind. A point chisel and the air chisel get in pretty good and a mallet is making decent work. This will be a full 8hrs of work but I never want to do this crap again.

Unread 12-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
brandonw

Well that happened fast. It's all rotten... This shower was 5 years old. They "redid" it when they pinned the house foundation. Pretty sad.
Attached Images

Unread 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I think your plan of taking that entire bathroom apart is a good one, Brandon.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #12
brandonw

Okay I do need some advice as to what to do with this drain? I'm buying the Schluter kit and need this drain out. I put a ceramic heater on it for 20 minutes and still couldn't budge it.

Side note I have to bring the left side up 1/4" and taper it level to the drain Walls are square though
Attached Images

Unread 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Is that black plastic pipe down there, Brandon? Appears that someone glued a PVC drain flange to ABS (black) pipe. Not recommended.

But yeah, it needs to come out, and a heater isn't going to do the trick. What you will need is an inside pipe cutter (google; big box stores have them for about 10.00). Once it's out you'll see if there's enough space between the concrete and the black pipe (aka "riser) to which to can attach a coupler and another section of ABS pipe to the height you'll need to accommodate the new pan and drain assembly.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
brandonw

well crap. Yes that's black pipe down there I'll google the inside cutter and directions. Thanks for the tips again! I'm sure I'll have another question later on.

Unread 12-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the riser is not plumb, trying to get the Kerdi drain to be, is near impossible. You might need to crack some concrete and deal with the pipe so you can get the riser plumb. There is a little bit of flex if you use a liberal amount of cement on things (this actually melts the plastic), then hold it perfectly plumb. It can take awhile, as it's designed to try to equalize the pressure, which would make it move back to being tilted until it evaporates all of the solvents...in the interim, it's 'mushy'. It might take some weights and carefully positioning things. With the ABS pipe, you might want to swap your pvc drain for the abs one. Transition cements aren't allowed everywhere for a reason...they're less than optimal.

Depending on the intended height of your pan, you MIGHT still be able to leave that in place and use their conversion drain. THat assembly does have a little bit of flexibility as things seal with a rubber collar.

If the drain isn't exactly where you want, this would be the opportunity to move it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase