Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #151
Lucy_Dawg

About to caulk the corners with silicone caulk, and am wondering thedifference between these two caulks. I will be caulking inside corners and floor to wall transitions. One caulk has a sanded texture, and looks a lot better, but I am afraid to use it for this situation. Advice on which to use is appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...610S/204984830

or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...C386/202753965
Unread 01-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #152
cx
Moderator emeritus

The one with the sanded texture is not a 100 percent silicone sealant and is not really suitable for your application.

The one that is 100 percent silicone I have not used, but suspect it is a glossy finish and I'd not want to use it in my new shower, 'specially if I had sanded grout.

You can go get what you really want, a 100 percent silicone in satin or sanded texture, from the folks at ColorRite in colors to match any brand of grout on the market.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #153
Lucy_Dawg

thanks CX, that is exactly what I will do. I want the sanded look, and I want to be 100 Silicone, and good mold/mildew resistance.
Unread 01-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #154
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
but suspect it is a glossy finish and I'd not want to use it in my new shower, 'specially if I had sanded grout.
Yup.

In a complete boneheaded move I made that exact mistake; used a non sanded color matched silicone for the wet areas, and a sanded color matched acrylic in the non wet areas, both were the same color.

The difference is striking, and not in a positive way.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #155
Lucy_Dawg

So I ordered the color-sil 100% sanded grout, and then cut out the existing with a razor blade. Question is, exactly how clean should I remove the old stuff? Is there a trick? I have it pretty clean, but every now and then you can see a small spot like a slither inside the cracks.

Last edited by Lucy_Dawg; 01-20-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Lucy_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #156
cx
Moderator emeritus

I can't see what you have from over here, Paul, even when I squint real hard. 'Specially when you don't have a geographic location in your User Profile and I don't even know which direction to look, eh?

All I can tell you is your new silly-cone will not stick to your old silly-cone, so you'd like your old silicone to be all gone. Up to you how gone that is.

The purpose of the silicone is to allow for movement accommodation while providing a more aesthetically pleasing joint. The joint you have with nothing at all in it is quite effective, just not too pleasing to the eye, eh? Whatever you do will likely be an improvement, but the cleaner the joint you start with the longer lasting will likely be your re-grouting endeavor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #157
Lucy_Dawg

So Colorite messed up my order, and sent me some high gloss/sanded mixture. The color was good. I thought that this caulk looked greasy, but that wasnt grease, it was gloss. Unfortunately, I am now going to have to cut this crap out again, for 2nd time. I will be reinstalling the original, 100% silicone caulk in color match from Custom Building Products. 1/2 the costs, color matches better, and applies easier, and has less sheen that the Color-Sil.

Last edited by Lucy_Dawg; 01-24-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Lucy_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase