Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
1975Jumby

Grout Advice for Shower & Floor

Hi Folks,

I'm new here and undergoing a very large master bedroom and bath remodel. They will begin setting the tile for our bathroom and shower floors/walls sometime next week and we are having a heck of a time deciding on what type of grout to use. Initially, we were fully set on Spectralock Pro Premium for the entire job, but are now hesitant since we understand the bright white epoxy (which is what we would use for the shower walls) has a tendency to yellow over time. Even spoke to Laticrete and they did say there have been reports, although it doesn't happen all the time.

We really want to use the Spectralock epoxy, but are now considering other options and are stuck between Fusion Pro and Mapei Flexcolor HQ. We are leaning more towards Fusion Pro because of the color choices and we hear the color consistency is spot on with the plastic color samples we were given. However, we hear it seems to fail on shower floors and we are using a pebble mosaic for ours. Fusion Pro's info sheet says we should not use. So here are our questions:

1. Is the reported yellowing THAT noticeable on the bright white epoxy? Our shower tiles are not white, so not sure if the yellowing would even be that noticeable.

2. If we go with Fusion Pro for our bathroom floor and shower walls, what would you suggest for the shower floor, Prism? Or is there some other recommended grout for pebble stone mosaic tile?

3. The shower floor is sloped, so the bathroom floor will butt up against it. Will or should this also affect our decision on what grout to use? (Meaning, can we not use two different types of grouts next to each other?)

3. Our shower walls are glass tiles with a matte finish. What grout is better for this type of tile and is there any special considerations necessary? We're reading conflicting information on whether Fusion Pro or Flexcolor would scratch the tiles or not.

4. Who has the better stain resistance - Fusion Pro or Flexcolor CQ?

Any help would be great. We've searched and searched and read plenty of posts and it does seem that people really like Fusion Pro or Mapei (although FP seems to get more thumbs up), which leaves us wondering.
Unread 01-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jim, welcome. I'll give you my opinions and others will come along.

1. I've used Spectralock many times, even the bright white and have never noticed or had any complaints of it turning yellow. Years ago when epoxy grouts first came out (wasn't Spectralock), I did hear of all the light colors turning a yellow shade over time. Especially in sun lit areas.

2. I'm a Custom's guy and have spent tons of money on their products but I won't use Fusion again. Used it once and had problems with a shower floor turning black in places. My go to grout is Prism, it's much easier to use than any of the pre-mixed grouts. I will say that I have used Flexcolor many times without any problems other than the usual haze on some types of tiles that is talked about.

3. You would need to grout one, let it set and mask it off with tape, then grout the other.

4. I don't know since Fusion wouldn't be on my list. This isn't something I would be concerned with in a bathroom. Doesn't matter what grout you use, you'll need to occasionally scrub it down.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
1975Jumby

Thanks, Davy. Should I be concerned with the glass tile being scratched with either Fusion Pro or Flexcolor CQ? The glass tiles have a matte finish, so not sure if that changes things.
Unread 01-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jim, the only way you'll really know is to make a test board and actually use the grout you select on your actual tiles. Everything else is just conjecture.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I agree. The difference between scratching...or not has more to do with your exact tile. Make a test board and you’ll know ahead of time.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
smifwal

I have had flexcolor scratch a low fired china manufactured glass tile., but never with any others. As for testing it I take a piece of tile and smear grout on it and rub it in just as hard as can. No matter what grout you end up using, I recommend using a brand new float, that way there is absolutely no chance of having some old grout on there.
Unread 01-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with the others, make a test board. Scratching the tiles is usually not a problem but it's good to make sure with all the crappy tiles we get these days.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 01-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
MAPEItyler

Flexcolor CQ has a fine sand in it and can scratch a soft glass tile. Since there is so much resin in the product generally, it doesn’t scratch. I strongly agree with the others, do a some test sample. With Flexcolor CQ, you can open it use a little, put the lids back on and save for when you are happy with the results of your test. Happy tiling.

productsupport@mapei
800-992-6273
http://www.mapei.com/US-EN
MAPEItyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
Lucy_Dawg

I wouldn't use fusion, heard some bad reports in showers. I just built with Prism, and like it. One thing though, it is rapid setting, so don't mix a whole bag/box unless you can get it out that fast. I doubt it, but maybe you can. I ended up mixing 3 lbs at a tile when grouting.
Unread 01-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I use Fusion Pro and Flexcolor CQ frequently and have found both of them to work great. Obviously, for the pebble shower floor, you wouldn't want to use either of them so an epoxy or Prism or Ultracolor would be good options.
Unread 02-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
1975Jumby

Pre-Mixed vs Mixable Grout

Hi Folks,

I've been reading up quite a bit on this forum and am deciding between Fusion Pro and Flexcolor CQ. While we're leaning a bit more towards Flexcolor, both are great products and I don't think we can go wrong with either.

We were at a flooring store chain looking at the grout sample sticks when we were advised that Mapei's Ultracolor Plus FA is the same as the Flexcolor CQ, but just not pre-mixed. We really didn't pay much attention to this, based on what we've researched (and we don't think they are professionals there), but I thought I'd throw the question out here.

Is Flexcolor CQ the same as Ultracolor Plus FA? I assume this would be the same as questioning whether Fusion Pro is the same as Prism, so what do you pros think? Our tile guy is a bit old school and prefers to mix, but will go with whatever we choose. All that is important to us is the ultimate in stain resistance and color consistency/retention.

Any advice is appreciated!
Unread 02-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Ask them this: "If Flexcolor is the same as FA, why does Mapei bother to have both?" I'd love to hear their answer. Duh.

More specifically, FA is a cementitious grout, thus hardening is a chemical process initiated by water. Flexcolor is a polymer base (urethane? acylic?) and air dries and cures.

The only similarity is at they both fill grout lines between tiles.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 02-01-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

To me, it would depend on where the grout is being installed. Is it going in a wet area or dry area?

Prism is not the same as Fusion even though they do come in the same colors. Prism is a cement based grout.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I've used Flexcolor and Fusion extensively for 5 years.

Of the latest formulations, Flexcolor seems easier to use, but it usually comes down to a color choice.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2020, 01:36 AM   #15
1975Jumby

Thanks for all the help! I know it was an odd question to ask about the differences in mixed vs. premixed, but I had to make sure. Total novice here and got really screwed on the last tile job we had, so trying to make sure this goes right. We're doing as much research as we can.

We're definitely going with Flexcolor CQ for our bathroom floor. It's a toss up with our shower walls - either Flexcolor CQ or Fusion due to a color decision. Flexcolor's White seems a tad more white than Fusion's Snow White, but they probably both come out the same. If anyone has input on that, let me know.

Our shower floor is mosaic pebbles, so we can't use Fusion or Flexcolor since we understand neither works well on this type of shower floor. I believe we'll use Prism since they have the color we want.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions or other thoughts, please send them my way and thanks for all the help again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase