Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Knscarlato

Tiling a niche

Hi there, I'm in the process of learning the basics of tile work. I ripped out a metal medicine cabinet and was left with the niche shown in the photo. I was thinking of tiling the entire wall, including the niche. Would love to hear your opinion on what prep work needs to be done to get the niche ready for tile!
Attached Images

Unread 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Kate.

It appears that this won't be in a wet area, so it'll actually be pretty simple.

You'll want all four sides of the niche covered with sheetrock or a tile backer of some sort. Make sure the sides are level and plumb beforehand, and fix them if they're not.

Once that's done, you can use a good quality modified thinset mortar to bond the tile to all sides. Will there be anything on the walls surrounding the niche? Any idea what size tile you want to use?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
Knscarlato

Thanks for replying quickly, Kevin! Most likely I will use a decorative mosaic on the facing of the niche, and then subway tiles maybe 3" x 9-12" for the rest including the whole wall itself. Do I need to put drywall corner bead on the outside edges? The niche is definitely not square- what would be the best method of doing so? I am totally a beginner here, so I apologize if that's a dumb question
Unread 01-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Kman

Definitely not a dumb question.

If you've got bare lumber there, it's much easier to fix it at that stage. And how you do that depends on how much out of square it is. You could use shims, or roofing felt, or whatever to build up the surface to make it square, then attach the sheetrock.

But if we're talking just a 1/16" or so out of level or plumb, that could be fixed at the tile setting stage.

If you're keeping the tile within the niche, then definitely put corner beads on first.

Another point: Since the niche (probably) 3 1/2" deep, and most bullnose tile are narrower than that, you'll want to take that into account. You can do so by doing a "dry run" with the tile. Will the tile on the back of the niche make up the difference so that the edge of the bullnose will reach the edge of the niche? Are you using 90-degree or bullnose corner beads? That will definitely make a difference.

If nothing else seems to work out right, you may have to glue a square of sheetrock to the back of the niche to reduce the depth and accommodate the bullnose tile.

Unread 01-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
Knscarlato

The entire wall will be tiled along with the niche. I am afraid if I out corner bead in the niche corners, then I will have a hump that can't easily be feathered out. If everything is tiled, would paper tape on the corners be suffice?
Unread 01-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You're correct, Kate, if you're tiling the whole wall, niche included, you'd not want to install any corner bead around the niche opening.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Kman

Yeah, I missed the part about tiling the whole wall. I'd use mesh tape and mortar for the corners. It helps to crease the tape where it wraps around the corners so it doesn't come loose.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase