Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
05ag

CBU to Shower Pan

Hi everyone! New to the forum and man do I wish I found this before I started.

Anyway, I haven’t been able to find anything on the transition from my cbu to shower pan. Everyone that I find has it where it sits on top of the flange. Hopefully I didn’t do this wrong but I know I read to do it the way I did it. Do I need to do anything to cover this gap or anything before I put the Redgard on?

Name:  719BA3F0-DDFB-4F26-93C8-569121FCAF1C.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  42F97063-E0BE-4546-9EAF-E45B1C3CB9A4.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  26.1 KB

On another note, because I obsessively overthink, does my mortar look right on the seams? Everyone video I watch it looks like you can’t even see the mesh tape. After mine dried you can see it plain as day. Any issue with that?

Name:  3ACA42C5-AAD2-404D-93A1-E8B18669F7A8.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  8B1626A2-E664-4B51-9314-952A115F29E4.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  67.3 KB

Thank you in advance.
Unread 01-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Jason.

First I'll address the mesh tape. It looks like you spread mortar over the seam and embedded the tape, and that's where it stopped. Correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

I would have run more mortar across the tape so that the mesh is fully embedded with mortar and stuck to the board. You don't want it so thick that it makes a hump in the wall, but you don't want any loose tape either. Somewhere in between.

As for the CBU/pan junction: is there a flange behind the CBU? Is the CBU bowed in where it goes over that flange (if there is one)? Does the flange go entirely around all three sides and down the front edges of the pan?

Another side note: I can't tell for sure from your pictures, but you may be short a few screws in the CBU. Maybe there's some more that aren't visible in the pictures. They should be about every 8" vertically, and on studs that are no greater than 16" spacing. You'll also want them about an inch from the horizontal edges. Of course, those should most likely be covered up with mesh tape and mortar.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

To keep from building an inadvertent speed-bump, I wouldn’t apply any more mud to the seams before tiling. Just apply the mud to the walls for your tile and you’ll simultaneously be taking care of embedding the mesh while you tile. Many installer don’t mud any mesh before tiling, rather electing to tape ‘on the fly’.

By the way, it looks like you need to tuck some mesh tape into the corner at a 90 degree angle instead of rounded, as though it appears.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:20 AM   #4
05ag

Thanks for the replies.

KMAN- I put the mesh tape on and then put the thin set over. It looks embedded but different from what I am seeing. I will see if I can post a closer up picture.

There is a flange all the way around and the CBU is covering it. I built up behind on the studs to make it flush as possible.

The nails are roughly 8” when I was doing it but now I’ll go back and double check. ????

Tool Guy- not sure which picture your referring to? You talking about towards pan or the corners of the CBU?
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:40 AM   #5
Kman

Typically, I would advise leaving the CBU just above the flange and joining the two with a strip of waterproofing membrane.

But, if the flange goes from the floor, up one side, all the way around the three sides, and down the opposite side to the floor, then you can leave it as is. You could put Redgard down to the pan, then silicone the gap. That should keep water out, if it's sealed properly.

Many of the tubs and pans manufactured nowadays have a flange, but it stops short of the corners, like this one:

Name:  Tub flange.png
Views: 95
Size:  83.6 KB

Note that the flange stops at an angle a couple of inches shy of the corner, and there's no flange at all down the front corner. A very bad design, in my opinion, and one which allows water to sometimes get behind the tub into the walls.

If yours is more like this one:

Name:  tub flange 2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  52.9 KB

....then you can proceed as described above.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:54 AM   #6
05ag

Here is what I have. Looks like the bad design.

Anything I can do or do I need to refit the wall?

Name:  26B3133F-F11B-48DE-AA04-8E672877427D.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  37.5 KB
Unread 01-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Share a picture of the front corners, Jason, where the CBU go around and down.

Did you leave a little bit of a gap between the CBU and the pan around the perimiter?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
05ag

I left a gap between the CBU and pan. I will get a picture when I get home later.
Unread 01-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg
By the way, it looks like you need to tuck some mesh tape into the corner at a 90 degree angle instead of rounded, as though it appears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ag
Tool Guy- not sure which picture your referring to? You talking about towards pan or the corners of the CBU?
The cement board-to-cement board vertical corner doesn’t look like the tape was wedged into the corner. This one:

Name:  BB708443-DA44-498A-A817-C1F1CE2A0828.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  47.7 KB

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
After enlarging the picture I see that too, Bubba, looks like it's rounded.....
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase