Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #16
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You accidentally damaged the flange? The flange is usually buried behind the finished tile. Is the damage going to be visible after tiling?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #17
tman1991

Yeah it got stuck all at a weird angle and it was hard to get out. Had to be there but it basically stated to crush in the flange from being pushed against a stud. It was suspended in the air in the alcove and one end got under the ledger board for the flange. It was interesting. Anyways unless the crack grows you wont see it. Its like 3/4 of the flange but that will be hidden
Attached Images

Unread 01-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #18
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Ah...yes. One of the bigger difficulties in setting a tub is manipulating it from a standing position down into its final horizontal position without getting it stuck at weird angles.

Yes, cement board is often stopped just above the tiling flange as you describe. But sometimes folks will shim out the back 5’ wall and sometimes the ‘wet’ wall and ‘far’ wall, as well (unless doing so creates a weird jog in the wall), then run the cement board down over the tiling flange to just shy of the tub’s shoulder.

What method of waterproofing are you planning? Perhaps plastic behind the cement board? Or a surface applied roll-on membrane to the front of the cement board such as RedGard or Hydroban? Or....?

And you might want to think about removing a bit more drywall. The first inch or two of the wall where it meets the tub apron is a very common location for moisture damage. Cement board and tile in these locations does a lot to prevent moisture damage. But maybe I should ask if you’re planning to use a shower curtain...or a shower door?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #19
tman1991

Same as the shower I just did. Durock membrane over durock. And I dont plan on shimmying anything as that would create weird jogs I think. Also only going up about 5 feet above tu lb as that's were the old one stopped. Not going to ceiling.

I was just going to tile the outside of the tub area using bullnose. Just attach it to drywall and use a shower curtain. Thats what was there currently. I guess I could cut our the drywall and run a strip of durock and accomplish the same thing?
Unread 01-17-2020, 12:41 AM   #20
D & D Reno

That is a bummer about the crack. You did say it would cover, but if you aren’t sure you could shim out that wall behind the Duroc just a touch if
you think it may be close.
Unread 01-17-2020, 12:46 AM   #21
tman1991

Yeah I could try to shim it some to lower the durock but if I have tile that goes down to just over the deck and that is essentially buried in thinset what's the difference?

Last edited by tman1991; 01-17-2020 at 01:08 AM.
tman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Your studs look to be 24 inches OC. I would add some studs or at least some horizontal blocking to give you more to nail/screw to.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #23
tman1991

Yeah they are and that's being looked at. Going to put up durock next and will certainly add more if I need them. Especially after my last bathroom and adding some behind the other wall which was a giant mess.
Unread 01-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #24
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Pull the installation sheet for Durock, Travis, pretty sure it calls for studs 16" OC. If you don't have those you do need to add them. Like Davy said, you can add horizontal 2X's to accomplish this.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase