Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
sd6000

DIY first shower

I will be doing my first shower as part of a bath remodeling project. I have done tile floors, counters and walls before but never done a shower.
I want to make sure to do it right and not have problems later... Especially leaks.
What is the best pan and water proofing methods for a DIY person? From what I can tell so far it looks like the kerdi foam pan with kerdi system may be the way to go?
Thoughts?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Unread 01-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
BBDIY

I am doing my first shower right now. I planned on using the kerdi pan, but have now decided on a deck mud bed with kerdi membrane and the kerdi drain. My shower floor would have required me to cut the pan on one side. The pan is dish shaped, so the cut edge would have been concave and not level on that edge, plus i subconsciously wanted to do the dry pack mud anyway. Check out my thread for some good advice from some great people. I still have a long way to go due to lack of time, but it hasn't been too bad.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=128094
Unread 01-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Bryan. I'm gonna suggest again that you add a geographic location to your User Profile.

Best method? Depends a great deal upon who you ask and what your goals are and what's common in your area.

You can have hot-mop out there, which I think is one of the lesser methods and certainly not a DIY project. In some parts of the country lead and copper are used and in at least one area fiberglass in the method de jure. None of them would even fall into the category of good in my mind, and certainly far from best. If you plan a traditional mud/liner/mud shower receptor, I would want PVC or CPE liner material with an approved three-part clamping drain.

If you plan a direct bonded waterproofing membrane type receptor construction, I think the USG Durock Shower System membrane is the best in that category.

I would not recommend a foam shower tray regardless what else you might decide upon, favoring a sloped floor made of deck mud to precisely fit your shower footprint and drain location. The drain should be an approved bonding flange type.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase