Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #31
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg View Post

Yeah, pretty soon he’ll be eating lunch and steering with his knees.
Or answering questions in the advice forum from the air.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 12:58 AM   #32
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Yeah, we’ll know that he’s logging valuable flight hours every time we see him answering questions on the forum.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #33
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Internet connections can be spotty while flying! SHeesh, you think drivers that are texting while driving are bad...don't want to think about trying to pilot a plane while working a computer (well, other than the instrument displays built in!). There's some mountains around here...not huge, but it doesn't take much to ruin your day! I guess at that point, you'd probably not care anymore, though.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

Much, much easier to fly an airplane and do other things than to drive an automobile and do the same other things.

But I do remember the rare times I was driver in a helicopter I was usually too busy even to talk on the radio.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #35
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Well, there isn't generally as much traffic in the air, but boy, can it come at you in more than one way...3-d is a totally different way to perceiving the threat! Brakes don't really work well, either!

A new airplane tends to have some little, and maybe not so little things you have to deal with, so it's best not to get too distracted while you find out what is 'normal' with it.

Weather Wednesday should be nice, and hope to get a bunch of hours in.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 01-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #36
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
A couple of GoPro's would fix us right up, Jim, one upon your helmet so we can watch where you're intending to go and another on the dash pointed rearward so we can see those subtle, but important "whoa, whooooooa" moments.

I'm way too much of a sissy to get in one of those things (or helo's, or hot air ballons, or or or - the list is long) so need to log flight time vicariously through you.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #37
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Dan,

You don't have to be a sissy to avoid flying in small aircraft including helicopters. I've avoided them since I returned from Viet Nam lo these long years ago. I've met Jim a number of times at training events, and he doesn't strike me as a thrill seeker. Of course, he is an engineer.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #38
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, you do gotta be a sissy, Dan.

Anybody who'll drive an automobile to the airport and declare the little airplanes or the big airplanes too hazardous to risk flying in is just not paying attention to reality.

Besides, little planes are a lot more fun.

Unread 02-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #39
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Well, some disturbing news. On January 15th, I went to the airport to fly, taxied to the runup area to do some final checks, got permission to enter the runway, then don't remember a thing until I woke up in the ER about four hours later.

While I don't remember any of this, they tell me I accelerated down the runway on the ground for about 3300', reaching about 115 mph, drifted left onto the grass, hit a little
runway marker light, hit a slight lip at taxiway C, went airborne, the tumbled for about 200 yards where it came to stop between two monster ice encased snow piles.

To put this into context, it's hard to keep this thing on the ground above about 40 mph, and your normal climb out speed is 65 mph. 115 is the Vne or flying velocity never exceed (where aggressive maneuvers could damage the chassis).

People that saw this were surprised I was alive when they got there. Broke two vertebrae and a bone in my foot with lots of abrasions and contusions. In a rehab hospital and tentatively going home on Wednesday.

No definitive answer why, yet, if ever, it happened. The dealer thinks the engine and instruments might be okay along with some other things, but it will likely be awhile before the authorities release the chassis. Once they got permission to move and store it, they said much of what was left fell apart and they were covered in carbon fiber dust. The strength is in the aircraft 4130 aircraft steel...the Shell is primarily for aerodynamics. In crushing, I think it acted sort of like an airbag, absorbing lots of energy.

Anyway, I may come out of this without any significant issues except maybe the 8 new titanium screws holding my back together. And with a diminished bank account. Insurance on an experimental rated aircraft to anew pilot would have been a substantial portion of the plane's cost. If the engine and electronics are still good, those are worth over half of the original cost.

Pictures later. The airport manager has about 80 or so to document things prior to moving things.
Unread 02-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #40
Just In Tile LLC

Jim, I'm glad you are alright. Of course all the other stuff sucks, but all said and done, glad you're still with us sir.
Unread 02-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #41
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Good grief, Jim, I don't even know where to start other than saying we're all so pleased that you're still with us.

If that had happened to me I think I'd be quite happy to not remember any of it.

If that thing wants to become airborne around 40 any idea how you managed to exceed 100 on the ground?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #42
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Thank God you’re as okay as you are Jim!

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #43
smifwal

Glad to hear you are still with us,sad that you trashed your new toy and hope you can rebuild and get back on the horse
Unread 02-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #44
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Why it was still on the ground at that speed is probably the big question. Propeller driven airplanes generally want to turn left unless you apply a fair amount of right rudder because of the gyroscopic forces of that rotation, so to keep it straight for that long and at that speed really adds even more questions. I will be talking to a neurologist to see what the scans might explain. Was a bit hazy when we last talked. But, during the rehab input testing, luckily, they indicated I didn't need any therapy in that area. Course, I might not know it myself, but people that know me haven't noticed any deficits. Had some bleeding up there, don't know if it started before or after, which may be why I don't remember anything(yet?). Course, if I had made it into the air and passed out, I had enough fuel to probably get almost to Nova Scotia and over 28,000' where if I didn't die from hyperthermia I'd probably have from oxygen depravation, so the timing was critical for the existing outcome. I believe I used up most of my allocated bucket of luck on this one!

Can't drive until my braces are off on my foot and back, but they seem to be coming along well. Scheduled for some new scans on Friday and will see where we are then.

Thanks for the good wishes. Depending on what the investigation shows, I may not be able to fly again. Trying to decide if I will, even if cleared. The FAA can take a long time.
Unread 02-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #45
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jim, this is not quite what I had in mind when I told you some weeks back that I was glad you could finally take that thing out and play with it and I wondered why I hadn't gotten any updates of late.

I'm certainly glad you appear to have survived it mostly intact and I do hope you have a full recovery from it all.

I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you recall once you start recalling. Well, first I guess we need to hope you do start recalling the incident. I had a little incident with my pickup some 12 years ago where I rolled it off into a field in the middle of the night and remember absolutely nothing about it to this day. First thing I recall was getting out of my sleeping bag where I had apparently spent the night. Frustrating, that. Hope you do better with your recall.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase