Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 11-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
TLemky

Restaurant Tile Floor Wax Issues

Hey Guys,

Hopefully I’m in the right place. I work for a cleaning company and looking for some advice on a restaurants floors.

They receive high foot traffic on a daily basis and the floors get dark fast. We decided to strip and wax the floors to try and reduce the black. First we used high gloss wax, and the wax started peeling days later. Then we tried high traffic wax, same peeling happened.

I’m just wondering if anyone ran into peeling wax on tile floors before? Or if there’s any suggestions for this floor maintenance?

I attached some photos.
Thanks for your help!!
Attached Images

Unread 11-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Tyler!

I’ve never really understood wax on tile. The wax layer is incredibly less durable than the tile’s finish...and presents a layer upon which dirt can sink into. So, the embedded dirt is harder to clean than if the tile was left bare.

Can I ask what the wax is supposed to be doing? Serious question.

Another question: from your initial description, it doesn’t seem like there’s adequate walk off mats at the entrances and the tile is being exposed to more dirt than it would otherwise. How is the mat situation?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
TLemky

Hi Tool Guy!

Thanks a lot for your response!

We’re not sure if the floor had a wax on it before, so we stripped and waxed it a couple times now.

Mainly because we are trying to prevent the black from the foot traffic buildup from appearing so quickly (and thought it would help with maintenance)

I’ve actually did some more digging since posting and the floor is actually a porcelain tile - Merola Tile Peak Hex, to be exact. Sold at Home Depot.

So we’ve determined these floors shouldn’t be waxed, as it’s already finished.

Now the question is, we’re going to need to strip the wax off again but will we need to reseal it?

I’m assuming the only way to keep them clean is regular scrubbing...

As for the mats, there is entrance door way mats but not in the dining area.

Thanks a million for your help!

Last edited by TLemky; 11-22-2019 at 01:17 AM.
TLemky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Do you need to reseal after removing the wax? Well, grout is sometimes sealed to buy you some time to clean a spill from becoming a permanent stain. But it does nothing, whatsoever to keep it cleaner (even though lots of folks think that). And if you consider that many restaurants rough use powerful cleaners that can strip away grout sealer, it becomes more clear that grout sealing doesn’t help much.

While daily cleaning is probably a fact of life for a floor inside a restaurant. Your additional option is to keep it from being exposed to so much dirt in the first place. Since it kinna seems like they need some suggestions on managing their maintenance, you might wanna ask yourself where the dirt is coming from. Is the parking lot or adjacent areas leading up to the restaurant dirty/muddy? Can something be done to mitigate that? Are the walk off mats adequate? And are they being cleaned enough? Or is the dirt coming from the kitchen floor via the staff’s foot traffic?

Food for thought, anyways.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I might also add that, to keep the grout "reasonably" decent, you should advise them to use a "Neutral PH" cleaner on the floor......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase