Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #31
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

If they are so confident in their "fix", then tell them to put their money where their mouth is. Have them give you a really long warranty on the "fix".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Well one would think that since they've "done this before" in regards to the fix, they'd stop screwing up the initial installation in the first place
Yeah, ask them why they keep screwing them up.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #32
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Craig, I agree. If they've done this "fix" before, they've screwed up other shower floors.

It's not very often that I hear about a shower floor cracking but when I do, it's usually on a wood subfloor and something is leaking causing the wood under the tile floor to swell. Over the years I've seen this happen two times in showers I've installed. Both were from plumbing leaks.

But this is over a slab foundation with a cement preslope with a traditional mud bed. Makes me wonder if the mud bed is too thin and also makes me wonder what the mud bed is made of.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:36 AM   #33
pbsmith1145

More

After watching some Youtube videos I have turned my attention to the drain. Attached is a picture showing the drain with the liner cut in a circle. Notice liner cut back slightly larger than drain hole. Is it OK to cut back the liner that much? Also attached drain assembly picture. It would seem to me that this drain assembly would always leave about an 1/8" of water on top of the pan. Is this correct?
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #34
pbsmith1145

Repair of Pebble floor

Update history. About a year ago, the builder had sent in their crack tile guys. They proceeded to remove the stone pebble floor layer, the drain flange and carved out a section of the mortar bed around the drain. Attached PCX1: shows the replacement drain flange they used; PCX2: shows a pre-slope pitch was used; PCX4: shows the mortar prep; PCX5: shows the current state of the drain about one year later and after 4 days of not using the shower: PCX6 shows the problem, even after four days of not using the shower, water is being forced up from the mud bed through the grout forming a kind of bubble around a few tiles. If I wipe the bubble of water off, in less than a minute the bubble of water has reformed. The builder representative said that this is minor and is just a maintenance issue. He said to use vinegar to wipe off the efflorescence and he will check back in a few months to see if it gets worst. Here are my questions concerns:

1) This looks like a clogged weep hole. PCX4 shows sections of broken tile were used to cover the weep holes to keep the mud out. In the picture it looks like that the one that failed (toward left side of flange) could have easily fallen off the other tile or allowed too much mudding down into the weep hole. PCX5 shows some strange white goo opposite that weep hole. Does this clogged weep hole theory hold water?

2) If it is a clogged weep hole, would you consider this a customer maintenance problem or an installation problem? How would someone even clean out a weep hole?

3) Does the wait and see attitude seem plausible? The builder representative sees only a few tiles are effected and it took about a year for this problem to manifest itself; maybe it ( or me) will go away?

4) Here in Arizona we have the AZ ROC where I can file a complaint against the builder/installer. Has anyone have any luck elevating problems to a state run agency?

Thanks for your input.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #35
Kman

See what's in the circle below? That's a big, fat no-no.

Name:  IMG_20180815_204035.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  135.6 KB

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #36
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Your first pic shows a lot of soap and hair. Take the grate off every few months and scrape it all down and clean it out. I was told by a plumber years ago that if the riser pipe is left rough where it has been cut, it will collect hair much more than when it's reamed out smooth. I believe him because I left mine rough and I have to scrape the riser pipe down with a long screw driver every 6 months or so. The hair then collects soap, etc.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 08-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #37
pbsmith1145

Adventure is out there; especially in your shower floor

Kman

So what is wrong with the circled area of the picture?

Davy

Compared to what the drain looked like, this is clean; see earlier pictures. But I hear you about cleaning out the drain. Do you believe by using a cleaning brush around the inside of the drain will resolve the water pushing its way up through the grout? Please note that white stuff in the drain I believe to be mold not soap. We never use bar soap since it leaves a film all over the shower, we have always use liquid soap. By the way the new picture shows how the water pushing up through the grout changes; we are now on day five of not using this shower.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #38
iownme

is there grout missing here...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2018, 02:58 AM   #39
pbsmith1145

No, the dark grout lines are actually a long standing narrow puddle of water following the grout lines. I have been referring to it as a bubble of water. I am assuming the tiles repel the water which is being pushed up from beneath the tiles through the grout. If you wipe off the water, in less then a minute the bubble of water has reformed. I tried taking a picture but picture is out of focus at a close distance. See attached best side shot picture.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #40
Catfish1
El Hefe

The problem with the area in the circle is they drove screws though your waterproofed curb. No bueno.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #41
iownme

how would you avoid that?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #42
Kman

They could have used a glass bracket with a stud, or siliconed the bracket in place.

I tell my customers that if anyone drills into the curb, the warranty is invalid.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #43
pbsmith1145

Just a comment.

Our old house had an EIFS cladding, also known as Dryvit. Water should never get behind the cladding, it is a big No,No. Mounting things to the outside of the house; however, is a necessity. A common mounting method is to drill a hole to the wood support behind the cladding, then fill the hole with silicone, and finally add a silicon bead to the house side of any mounting bracket. The silicon would seal the screw and its mounting hole along with the back side of the bracket. It would seem this would work on a shower door bracket.

Just a thought
Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #44
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

This is different. Dryvit is waterproof on the surface and once you plug the hole with silicone, it's water tight. Tile and grout aren't waterproof so water gets into the mud. Then it slowly finds it's way to the screw and hole in the pan. It can take years so instead of your shower lasting 25 years, it might only last 10-15. When enough moisture gets into the wood curb, it swells and causes grout to crack and eventually tiles will break loose.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 08-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #45
cx
Da Home Builder

Paul, you need also to consider that with those Dryvit systems, you're penetrating a vertical surface rather than a horizontal surface and you're also dealing with many, many times more water in your shower than on the roof or walls of your house. Granted, not all that water hits your shower curb, but a whole gaggle of it does. Far more than you house walls will ever see in many cases.

House walls and shower curbs aren't really much of an apples to apples comparison.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase