Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #16
PetrH

sorry about the rant, but it just really pisses me off when guys tro to invent these half ass repairs. It would take me about 4 hours by myself to rip out the mud bed and replace it with a new one. That's including packing all the materials in and out of the house. I bet you they've already spent half that time scratching their nuts and trying to come up with a plan.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #17
Kman

C'mon, Petr. Tell us how you really feel.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:59 AM   #18
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

All these crappy installs and stupid fixes getting to you to eh Petr?
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
PetrH

yeah, I might need to take a break from the forum for a while
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
cx
Da Home Builder

I think those rants sound even better with your accent, Petr.

Don't be gone too long, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 AM   #21
pbsmith1145

Update

The builder representative said this repair will work. He has had it done in the past. He also informed me that he is responsible for having the floor fixed. Any third party input is interesting but ultimately the builder is warrantying the work. In an extremely nice way he is basically saying: we are here, we are the experts, this is what we need to do to resolve the problem any other fix will be at my (the home owner's) expense.
While talking to the builder representative, I found out that a pre-slope mud layer was not used. The shower floor was installed using another process. One question I did not think of while talking to the representative, since the bed liner lies directly on the post tension concrete floor, and we changed from a pebble floor to a tiled floor can there be a problem? The pebble floor with all the grout will dry out quickly; while the 3" X 3" tiles will have less grout but the tiles themselves will allow less water to penetrate to the sloped mud layer below. Any comment?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:41 AM   #22
Kman

Makes no difference, Paul. Without a pre-sloped bed of mud under the liner, the shower won't dry properly anyway.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #23
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

He's not a expert Paul, if he was he would know to put a preslope under the liner. That's shower building 101. All he's building for you is a big petri dish. Water will just sit on top of the liner with no where to go just like Kman said. The smell will let you know the pan has completely filled up with water.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #24
wwhitney

Paul,

Insist on a new shower from the floor up. Refer your builder to the International Plumbing Code section 417.5.2 (https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/doc...de/550/9793343) which says in part:
Quote:
Liners shall be pitched one-fourth unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2 percent slope)
There is similar language in the Uniform Plumbing Code, if that is the plumbing code used in your area, I believe the section is 408.7.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 07-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #25
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Some inspectors only look for a waterproof liner. As stated, CODE requires it to be sloped. Neither tile nor grout is considered the waterproofing layer...it is a decorative, wear surface...not waterproofing. I find it sacrilege that some inspectors only look for waterproof and do not enforce the slope requirement.

The TCNA handbook is the industry bible on how to construct anything with tile (including showers). It appears what's there does not follow any one of those available methods. It's all about the details...fail one step, and it usually results in problems.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #26
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Paul, I hope he gave you the wink, wink when he said that he's the expert. I'm with the others, this is a joke. They're trying to half ass it and get you out of their hair.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #27
pbsmith1145

Update

First, I would like to thank all those who have commented; I have learned a great deal. The builder's representative had contacted the tile contractor who said a pre-slope was used. So that is good. The plan is still the same. Dig out the center section of the tile floor from one side to the other in a "V" shade around the crack. I believe they are going down to the liner but not sure. Then install a new drain with weep holes followed by mud, level and smooth mud following the slope, then allow to dry and tile. Hoping for the best.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #28
Kman

Then you'll have two cold joints in the mud floor.

I don't understand why they can't just do it right this time and be done with it. Taking out the entire floor to the liner is the best option for long-term success.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #29
pbsmith1145

Hi Kman

I believe they are concerned that since the shower floor is 3' x 7' they have a greater chance of damaging the liner. In addition, they supposedly done this before with no problems.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #30
tatumjonj

Well one would think that since they've "done this before" in regards to the fix, they'd stop screwing up the initial installation in the first place.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase