Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

plumber installed panliner... here?

Got my foot in the door with a new account I have a good feeling about, at least I like their commercials. Got something to bid on today and I was informed, for the first time in as long as I've been setting tile here in Washington, that the plumber installed the panliner because that's the only way they would warranty the drain they installed.

I'm hoping this isn't one for the hall of shame. think positive
Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
The Kid

Tell them the only way youll provide a warrenty for your shower is if you install the shower from drain up, see which warrenty they chose.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
mudd_it
aint stoppin till its tiled!

walk away! Just out of curiosity who are they? I know of a gc that used to have crazy ideas like that, maybe its the same outfit?
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

The pan liner is technically part of the plumbing and is always required to be installed by plumbers if your local compliance jurisdiction is actually complying with the building codes.

The bulk of my work has traditionally been done outside compliance jurisdictions and my plumbers are quite happy to do nothing in a shower but stub up a riser pipe that's not glued to the trap.

In compliance areas we've always had an agreement whereby the plumber would "install" the liner by just kinda stuffing it into the shower floor opening and tacking the top edges to.....whatever and do a flood test. My tile guy would come in, remove the liner, build a pre-slope, install the liner properly, and move on to mud the shower.

Just a way of life when you generally get a blank stare from the plumbers when you mention the pre-slope.

I've always counted myself fortunate to have been "trained" by a good tile many early in my building career.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Chad,
If their plumber is going to warranty the pan, then that's a bit of hassle off of your shoulders. Just make certain that the builder is expecting a pre-slope minimum and it seems like a win-win to me. If there won't be a pre-slope, use the UPC as leverage to impress the builder with your thoroughness and instill a bit of confidence in your own warranty, if you still want it.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase