Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
gary

selling

Has anybody made the transition from installing to selling. I have an offer to sell for a flooring company. I am thinking about taking it, just because it is so darn dead. The flooring company I would work is established and seems to be doing ok.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Can't ya just take a beatin' instead?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
mctile
Fort Collins, CO. Tile Contractor

I think most of us do both.

Fort Collins Colorado Tile Installation
mctile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

i sell some of my jobs and install for retail as well.....I have thought about it---the pros being its easy on the body....the cons being you don't get your hands dirty, and don't have the satisfaction of a job well done...

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
butterblood
Registered Loser

Maybe a dumb question but can't the same company give you some installation work?

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome."
Booker T. Washington
butterblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Chris the Rep

Take it! What do you have to lose? The installation will always be there to go back to if you decide that sales isn't for you.

I'll disagree, there can be tremendous satisfaction in selling. You may not see tangible results at the end of every day like you do installing, and there will be days you'll come home wishing you could trade places with your dog.

But, when you have a good day, there is no better feeling. Getting the order always does wonders, but there is a great reward knowing your customers can count on you and trust you to give them the products and information for them to make a choice they'll be happy with.

It can be frustrating, but never boring.

I've said here before, selling is the oldest and noblest of professions.

Good luck

Chris
Chris the Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

selling is good if it's salary + commission.

but if it's just commission you might have problem if it's a slow week.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

I think Brian is right on the money there, ( as usual ) I know sales people who work it both ways and the ones who get commission are usually happier. But either way your body wont mind. Gotta follow your heart and you'll be ok, good luck either way. Personally I agree with Chris, If it don't work out you'll still have the skill to go back on your knees.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

I was recently offered a job selling stone for a local importer. It was a salary + commission. It looked like a pretty good deal. The area would have been a good area for the selling. I turned it down but in a way I didn't. I can buy the stone at their preferred price, and sell it to my customers for less than the best prices I can get at other retailers.

I sold 150ft of trav yesterday and made a cool 300 bucks. All I had to do was answer my phone, and make a phone call. Someone else will pick it up, install it, and it makes me wonder if the selling job would have been a good one.

If you like selling, it could work out. I would like to learn to be better at selling. The idea of making more for the work I do seems appealing.

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Chris the Rep

Salary plus commission can be ok if you're going into a newly created territory or are working for a start-up company. But having worked on straight commission, it can hard to go back. Sure, there are short months, just like the contracting side of the business. You learn to bank some from the long months to see you through the short ones, and December.

I don't think learning a bit more about selling ever hurts, even if you're not going to make it your main profession. I've probably met over 2000 contractors over the course of my career, and I can honestly say that the most successful ones, whether it be a 1 man operation to some of the largest in the USA, got that way because of sales skills.

"Mastering the Art of Selling", by Tom Hopkins is widely available and is a very good read. Although it seems a little tilted to those who are "one call closers" there are a lot of good skills you can learn that you can use not only in your business, but in your everyday life.

Chris
Chris the Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
John K

Like I always say. "You can sell 10,000 s.f of tile in a day, but you'll never install that much in a day. Selling seems to be the real way to make money and not destroy your body..

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
kfletcher68
Tilesetter

That's depressing. What if all installers went to sales? Maybe a combination of the two would be ideal. I'm no salesman, but I'm a good tilesetter, and I'm not sure one should pay more than the other. Keep rockin' tileguys.
kfletcher68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Fox Flooring
Flooring Freak

hmmmm Why sell for others if you can sell for you??? Why go from being the boss to being bossed?? No offense, but I just see this as walking backwards...
When times are slow, we have to INNOVATE and be creative to keep busy. The business is out there, just stay strong.
If you need a couple of ideas just shoot me a P.S. and I'll be glad to help. Even though times are slow, I've been keeping all my crews BUSY BUSY BUSY!

CHEER UP AND LET'S MAKE SOME $$$$
Unread 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

Chris,
Thanks for the book title. I have picked up several books recommended by guys on this forum and have learned a ton. I will be checking amazon for that one now.

I really enjoy setting tile but I would love to learn to sell better so that I could make more money doing what I like doing. I don't always intend to be a one man band and I think that selling will play a huge roll in this.

Any other good resources out there? Post'em up!

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #15
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Quote:
I've said here before, selling is the oldest and noblest of professions
I always thought prostitution was? .

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase