Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-31-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
DIWhyAmIDoingThis

Shark steam mop for stone tile?

My husband and I recently installed a sandblasted stone tile floor in our 5-by-5-foot powder room. We've never had stone tile before. As we finish the renovation of this half bath, I've been researching if I can safely use my Shark steam mop on stone tile, and I haven't found a definitive answer.

We sealed the sandblasted tile with Miracle 511, used Ardex FL grout and sealed with 511 again. The steam mop has three steam settings: dust (light cleaning), mop (everyday cleaning) and scrub (tough cleaning). Will the steam's temperature affect the sealant?

I also have an iRobot Braava jet, which just sprays water and does not heat up. I only use distilled water with this and the steam mop.

I'd prefer to use the steam mop if I can. Or should I get something else?
Unread 07-31-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, June.

Without knowing exactly what "sandblasted stone" you might have, it's difficult to speak with any authority, especially since I don't know exactly what "steam mop" from Shark you might have, nor what it might do. I can't see the ones advertised as "hard surface" tools for cleaning even wood floors harming any kind of stone, but, again, never seen nor used one.

The grout is advertised as a polymer modified cementitious grout, but the manufacturer advertises it as especially "flexible." Not sure just what that might mean, and I'd recommend you contact Ardex and ask them if your particular "mop" could harm their grout. I suspect they'll tell you it's just fine.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase