Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
Porkface
DIY Homeowner

Porkface's New Basement Bathroom

Hi All,
I have a new-to-me house, in a new location, with a someday-to-be-completed new bathroom in my new basement and I have a question(s).

I'm using a 34'x60" fiber shower pan in the new bathroom. I plan to use Durorock CBU with Kerdi membrane. The CBU (and tile) will go from pan to ceiling.

The pan is not inset into the studs so I'm using shims to raise the CBU over the edge of the shower pan lip. The shims are 1/8" on the back and right side wall and 5/16" on the left side wall. The right side wall extends 4 1/2" to a corner and the left side wall extends 7'.

My question is how do I deal with the difference in thickness between the CBU (1/2" CBU plus 1/8" or 5/16" shims = total 5/8" on right or 13/16" on left) and the 1/2" drywall? The CBU will extend up to 3/8" proud of the drywall in some places.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Porkface; 07-30-2021 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Corrections
Porkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Tony.

Is Kentucky your new location or the old one?

Photos would certainly be helpful here, but if I understand the layout I would recommend you move the receptor (what is this "fiber" material?) such that it butt against the long wall and do all the necessary build-up on the short wall.

Is that a potential option?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
Porkface
DIY Homeowner

Thanks, CX. I've been lurking off and on without signing in but we've moved and I have new tile projects and questions. Kentucky is the new location.

The shower has three walls; right, back, left. The receptor is a fiberglass 34"x60" shower pan. The shower pan does butt against the long back wall and also has the 1/8" shims.

I don't think the pan can be moved/adjusted for a better fit. Unfortunately the shower space isn't exactly square which accounts for 1/8" shims on the right side and 5/16" on the left side.

First photo shows the shower area, second photo shows the drywall to CBU joint but it's difficult to see how proud the CBU is to the drywall (3/8" to 1/4").
Attached Images

Unread 07-30-2021, 09:27 PM   #4
Porkface
DIY Homeowner

Reoriented photos.
Attached Images

Unread 08-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Tony,

I don't see a lot of options. You could just a whole mess of drywall compound and feather it out as far as possible from where the CBU abuts the drywall but that still leaves a decidedly un-flat wall and would be difficult to get the thickness consistent given the corners.

It would be more work, but not terribly more expensive, to just remove the drywall, shim as necessary, then install new drywall.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would agree with Dan, except in the case of other fenestrations in that wall, if any. That would require a good deal more work with jamb extensions, etc.

And easier than shimming might be to simply add a second layer of drywall over the existing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Porkface
DIY Homeowner

I've been thinking over my options. I think I'm going to wait until the CBU is up to see how much it sticks out. If as expected it's about 1/4", I'll add a layer of 1/4" drywall to bring it close (hopefully) to even. The extra layer of drywall will help reduce sound transmission so it's not all rework. The are just a four plumbing penetration on the wall and the vanity light.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Unread 09-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Porkface
DIY Homeowner

Kerdi Drain Question

After several setbacks on our basement shower, I've pulled the fiberglass shower pan and am going to install a Kerdi shower. Looks like I'll be doing the work myself since we can't find a contractor willing to work on it.

The plumber butchered the pvc drain for the fiberglass pan trying to make a drain installed for a 36" wide pan fit into a 34" wide pan. This is in a basement cement slab. I'll probably have to go back to in front of the trap to get to pipe I can work with. I've found several threads referencing horizontal adjustment of the Kerdi drain but I can't find specific information. Can someone point me to the information or tell me how much horizontal adjustment the Kerdi drains have so I have some idea how close I need to be.

Thanks,
Unread 09-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

You need to be very, very close, Tony. I'm thinking the actual adjustment of the Kerdi drain is half an inch or maybe a bit less, but I've not installed one for a couple years. I know it can be helpful making the drain grate fit the tile layout, but it's not a lot.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 09-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Porkface
DIY Homeowner

Thanks CX.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase