Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
ericw

Mapei Grout Color Question

Hi! Wife and I are in a predictament in that we sold our first home before I was finished renovating the bathroom in home we purchased, which includes the shower.

I am just really needing to finish shower, as we are going to hotel to use shower now. We can't pick out a grout color, so I am asking for professional opinions from tile guys who have a lot more knowledge about this than I do.

I have grouting experience, and am wanting to use Mapei Ultracolor FA. I've never used Mapei, but I know it is an epoxy grout and you have to work with this grout on small sections at a time to avoid problems.

I have attached photos of the tile. I can't remember what brand it is because wife purchased it, but it's glossy white porcelain marble look-alike tile with light brown veins in it.

Thanks for any replies!
Attached Images

Unread 07-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Eric, we would usually try to match the tile color. Bright white might be too white. An off white might be best, it's hard to tell looking at pictures. Have you got any grout chips or samples?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
ericw

Hi, Davy!

Just a Mapei Ultracolor FA color chart. I was thinking of maybe using #15 Bone or #93 Warm Gray. I know corners of shower have to have caulk, and the only lighter colors Mapei makes that show a matching caulk are #93 Warm Gray, # 00 White (which I've heard can turn yellow), #14 Biscuit, #15 Bone and #39 Ivory.

#19 Pearl Gray and #35 Navajo Brown have matching caulk but look too dark.

I like #93 warm gray, but am wondering if it will look okay with brown veins in the marble-look tile.

I'm thinking I just need the FA because I'm wondering if Sanded Mapei Grout would scratch the gloss.

Last edited by ericw; 07-11-2021 at 04:46 PM.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Congrats on selling the house. But time to kick it into high gear, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw
I have grouting experience, and am wanting to use Mapei Ultracolor FA. I've never used Mapei, but I know it is an epoxy grout...
To clarify, Mapei Ultracolor FA is a cementitious grout with fine aggregate, not epoxy. It is superior to the ordinary cheap sanded grout. It is much more color consistent than ordinary cheap sanded grout.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Eric, folks on the job occasionally ask my opinion on grout colors. I'll give them my opinion but let them know that I'm not a designer and that I'm use to being told what to do and with what colors to do it with.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
ericw

Wife and I finally decided on Mapei UltraColor FA #77 Frost. It also comes with matching caulk.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase