Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Kevin on Kauai

Shower pan and lowest row of tile replacement

My shower pan has failed. I removed the floor tile, top layer deck mud, liner, and finally the pre-slope mud. Steel nails in the sub-floor had pushed up through the liner, which was a white, paintable elastomeric used in my area as a roofing material. I removed the bottom most row of tile, hardibacker and black roofing paper around the perimeter walls of the shower to get a good look at the studs and blocking, The plywood subfloor looks in decent shape and re-doing the pan properly should be easy after reading various posts on this website.
My question is if there’s an acceptable way to tie into the existing tile, hardibacker, and black paper left on the walls ? As a next resort, I could remove the next row up of tile, leaving the exposed hardibacker to provide overlap for waterproofing going down to the new pan.
Attached Images

Unread 07-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Kevin, welcome. Of course the best thing would be to remove the rest and do the whole thing over. Removing the next row of tiles would allow you to overlap the tar paper but doing so might destroy the hardiboard behind that row as you remove the tiles. Then you would be in the same situation you're in, just another row higher. What kind of shape was the Hardi in behind the bottom row after the tiles were removed? Hardi tends to get brittle as it gets older.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
Kevin on Kauai

Thanks for the reply.

What I found when I removed the lowest row of tile and hardi is good news bad news. Thw good news is removing the next row of tile should be easy because each tile was attached to the hardi by a daps of thin set. The bad news is it looks like the contractor notch trowelled on a layer of thin set on the hardi on all the walls, and let that dry . Then blotched on the blobs of thinset (not sure of the technical term used by the trade when a tiler throws thinset blobs on a wall to set tile). See the pics - left is the back of a tile with blothes of thinset, right is the surface of the hardi with trowelled on layer and blotches of thinset to attach tile.

I'm leaning towards a total removal of tile and hardi.
Attached Images

Unread 07-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Kevin.

Lean harder.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

When tiling a shower, even though the walls cover more sq ft, the floor and curb is about half the work. Years ago we use to replace "shower bottoms" but it's really just a band-aid.

Another problem we run into is matching the old tiles. Unless you have more tiles, it's going to look like a patch job.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Aloha, Kevin.

Yeah, I agree. We don’t want you to think we’re just trying to give you the easy answer of ‘tear it all out’...it’s just that this type of repair is such a band aid and the amount of work trying to tie the new into the old is such that it almost always makes more sense to remove the rest of it and start again.

Was to your fine island back in the ‘90s and I’ll never forget how beautiful it is. Well, except for that knucklehead in the parking lot that I somehow offended from inside my rental car. Never figured that one out.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

You're a Haole, Goldstein. Don't take anything more than that to offend some of the locals.

I usta fly by Kevin's place periodically on my way from O'ahu to French Frigate Shoals, but that was a long, long time ago.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase